Coop bedding - Does anyone use straw?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by citygirl, Mar 29, 2009.

1. citygirl

citygirl Out Of The Brooder

Oct 8, 2008
    Dayton, Ohio
    We have an existing coop and have always used straw in it. It is inexpensive and works ok. Since recently joining this forum I learned that many people use pine shavings or other bedding. My husband says it will be to expensive to use shavings in two chicken oops. Any thoughts?

2. Snakeoil

Snakeoil Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 10, 2009
    SE Iowa
    I agree, I would keep using straw. Pine shavings are mostly used in brooders.

3. colby318

colby318 got 'dottes?

Jul 14, 2008
    Stamping Ground, KY
    I use straw in the winter, shavings in the summer. We let the straw age outside and then use it in the garden. The one thing I don't like about straw is that it mats down quickly. In the winter it's good though, they like to nestle in it during the day before they roost for the night. We recycle the shavings for mulch around the trees. Not that the girls leave it alone! They'll spread it everywhere. [​IMG]

Hope this help!

Colby in KY

4. riley

riley Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2008
    Mooers, NY
    i use pine shavings and straw in the winter and just pine shavings in the summer seems to work well

5. Chicken03

Chicken03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Western Pa
    I use straw also. It works alright. It isn't very absorbent but it is cheap and easy to get.

6. CoyoteMagic

CoyoteMagic RIP ?-2014

Me too. Straw in winter, shavings in summer

7. raneydayfarm

raneydayfarm Out Of The Brooder

Mar 15, 2009
    Straw for us!

8. calgal98

calgal98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Shavings here in n.central California. I don't clean it every week, but only as necessary. I add some dry stall and sweet pdz and the girls have never had a problem with it. They also get some alfalfa every couple of days to scratch through and eat. Nice big eggs! [​IMG]

9. BlueLagoonRabbitry

BlueLagoonRabbitry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2009
    Western Iowa
    I use brome hay.

10. countryboy88

countryboy88 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 24, 2009
    Mcconnellsburg,Pa
    I use straw and only straw. I have tried the shavings but they were to much of a hassle to get and to clean up.

I find that the straw works better than the shavings, but thats just me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by