coop bedding .. Pellets?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Zowie, May 21, 2011.

1. Zowie

Zowie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    Hi ..I hear of peaple talking about pellet bedding...What is pellet bedding?and can it be used in the coop for grown chickens?Where could I get this and is it compostable for the garden?Seams like it would be alot cleaner than straw or shavings.Thanks.

2. howfunkyisurchicken

howfunkyisurchicken Overrun With Chickens

Apr 11, 2011
    Tn
    I know alot of people on here use pellet bedding in their brooders. Its made from pine (like the pellet kitty litter sold at most pet sores). I don't see why you couldn't use it in your coop, but I think its quite a bit more expensive than shavings......not positive on that though as I don't use them.

3. hannalice

hannalice Out Of The Brooder

Jun 13, 2010
    Vermont
    I used pellets for quite a while in my coop last year, I brooded those birds on the pellets as well. It's pretty cool stuff, but is more expensive per square foot (at least for me) than the pine shavings. It does tend to get very dusty after awhile unless you mist it with some water. I stopped using it for the winter so I could insulate the floor in my coop better with the pine shavings, and just haven't switched back. I like the look/feel of the shavings, and I haven't noticed a real difference in ease of use either way. I believe is it compostable, but don't quote me on that.

4. Zowie

Zowie Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    Thanks for your responses....Still don't know which way I will go with the bedding when they go out to the coop....I need to do some more checking....Thanks all...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by