Coop bedding??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by storms02, Jul 17, 2011.

1. storms02

storms02 New Egg

Jun 7, 2011
    I am trying to get a good idea for the bedding in my coop. I am currently using pine shavings but I have hurd of using sand. What are your suggestions. Thanks

2. maizy'smom

maizy'smom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2011
    Philadelphia suburbs
    Not sure. I'm sitting on the same fence.....

3. TheJuan-n-Only

TheJuan-n-Only Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2010
    Tampa
    I used sand....it's awesome!!!! Gor a large kitty litter scooper and sccop the poop out! [​IMG]

4. weeders n feeders

weeders n feeders Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2011
    Charleston,SC
    I'm loving the sand! Easy to clean, no waste- poop can go straight to the compost or bucket of water for liquid fertilizer. No heavy shoveling of shavings and since I generally have more leaves than my compost bin can manage I don't add more dry matter to the compost frm the shavings. Also sand lasts longer.

5. mcjweb

mcjweb Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2011
    Splendora, TX
    I think it would be the size of the flock and coop that determines the choice. I have twenty and would constantly be scooping the sand. i use wood shavings and clean out trays, so that I can wait between cleanings. Good Luck

6. maizy'smom

May 15, 2011
    Philadelphia suburbs
    When you use sand, when you DO change it, what do you do with the sand? Does it compost?

7. KristyHall

KristyHall Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2011
    North Alabama
    since I compost their poop for the garden I use straw, or plain shredded newspaper (No colored ink though) some people use shredded leaves but I have never tried it. If you use hay, straw or grass clippings the chickens will nibble on it which shouldn't hurt them but it means you'll have to add more sooner

Welcome to byc storms02 and maizy'smom! I hope you enjoy it here [​IMG]

8. maizy'smom

May 15, 2011
    Philadelphia suburbs
    Thanks, Kristy! I've been reading and learning from so many folks here on BYC.

9. pjknust

pjknust Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2011
    Texas
    I use Grass Hay and just keep adding more. The ground is my floor in the Hen House.

pam in TX

10. gavinandallison

gavinandallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2010
    Matthews, NC.
    I use pine shavings. don't use hay as you may end up with crop problems from them eating it.........

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by