Coop Big Enough?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by SilkiesRcool, Nov 9, 2016.

1. SilkiesRcool

SilkiesRcool Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 1, 2016
    Florida
    I have nearly finished my coop for my silkies right now they're about a month old wasn't sure if it was big enough. Coop is a 5X6 and run is a 5X8. The rake is also not staying in there it was just to let the. new would smell air out of the coop. I am leaving the run open during the day and closing the run door at night with them in the coop. The big feeder and watered will be hanging and the one in the run is low enough for them to reach.

[​IMG].[​IMG].[​IMG].[​IMG].

Last edited: Nov 9, 2016
  2. TheKindaFarmGal

TheKindaFarmGal Chicken Obsessed

May 4, 2016
    Somewhere in the Universe
    How many chickens do you have, and are they male or female?

3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner True BYC Addict

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    If all you have is four Silikes that should work pretty well as long as you have no more than one male.

I can’t see all your ventilation, but in Florida you might consider more, maybe down low and on the shady side of the coop so cooler air comes in. You might consider adding shade to the run too. Heat will be your enemy, not cold.

4. SilkiesRcool

Nov 1, 2016
    Florida
    I have 5 silkies pretty sure only 1 roo as of right now and I have the vent up top the little windows on both sides and two 18inch by 18inch windows also and I am going to have a cover for the summer for them it's just right now it's about to be winter so I didn't figure they needed one yet.

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Chicken wire will NOT keep out predators!!! Add hardware cloth over all of it to keep them safe. Also, your coop needs much more ventilation; at least one big window covered in hardware cloth. Otherwise, it should be big enough for your five Silkies. They are cute! Mary

6. SilkiesRcool

Nov 1, 2016
    Florida
    Ok thank you very much

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by