Coop & Birds are Treated - Ok to eat eggs?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by snowfarm, Jun 11, 2011.

1. snowfarm

snowfarm New Egg

May 29, 2011
    I know .. it's a long one [post] [​IMG]

First, a little history ... I have both layers & guinea hens. They have been raised together since birth [May 2010]. Last fall, some of my 17 layers [mix of barred rocks, nh reds, etc] had missing feathers from their backs and not just a few ... about a 6" square patch. This has not effected the guineas. Some suggested maybe the guineas were pecking the layers. I have never witnessed this and my Roo seems to keep everyone in line. I investigating the patches more, and no signs of anything besides dry skin, so I added extra protein. It seemed to get better, then would move onto a different breed. The ones with missing feathers would begin to grow back. In February, I lost one of my layers [​IMG] One other bird was looking very sickly, so I spent some time holding her & discovered small reddish crawly things on her bare back. In -20 wind chill, that afternoon, we cleaned the coop, dusted the coop with DE, dusted each bird with Poultry Dust & made them a dust bath inside the coop with peat moss, sand & DE. I would also occasionally go out at night and dust the bare backed ones with add'l poultry dust. I consulted my local farm store, which recommended vitamins in their water. I began that a couple months ago. Still no significant improvement. FYI - Egg production is down - 9 yesterday from 16 layers [I was at 12 about a month ago]

Now on to my next problem.... a couple weeks ago, I noticed some of my guineas have "club" toes. The skin from their toes seem to be enveloping their toe nail, with some disappearing or falling off. I have one guinea that is limping & I've had one die [not sure if related], and when they are free ranging, a few seem to lay down a lot, walk 10 steps, lay down [again, not sure if related]. I did some research on this website & others and it appears to be scaly leg mites. If so, it must be in the first stages, because from pics posted from others, I do not have the whitish crusty stuff around their scales. I have some that are effected in scale area with them appearing raised, discolored, and one guinea has a very swollen spot at base of foot and a few have the "clubbed toes".

So, I decided to tackle both problems, although not completely sure what I was dealing with. I want a healthy flock !!

While all birds were outside, we cleaned the coop of shavings and nesting box hay, mixed a solution of permethrin to spray all crevices, cracks, nests, etc., replaced roosts with new branches, sprinkled DE inside coop, sprinkled DE in immediate outside perimeter of coop and then treated each of the 28 birds. We dipped their legs in mineral oil, patted dry, used Adams Flea & Tick spray down their backs [similar to treating a dog], dusted each with Y-Tex Gardstar garden/ poultry dust, and rubbed their legs with vaseline before putting each one back in the coop. We also sprayed their outside enclosed area with the permethrin on the roosts and poultry dust on the ground.

They seem happy this morning with my Roo cock-a-doodling !! They normally free range in our yard, but I was considering leaving them in today to let what vaseline may be left on them to really soak in, plus let them rest from the stressful time of being treated.

So, two questions [after all that ...]:

Will the eggs be safe to eat?

If this doesn't cure them, what should I do next?

Thank you in advance for all of your suggestions & great advice.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    First I'd stop the vitamins as it's easy to overdo that. The idea of the Vaseline is to coat/smother leg mites so you don't really want it to soak in. Sounds like you have attacked mites/lice very aggressively and it should work. However -- these treatments don't kill the eggs which will hatch in about 10 days so you'll need to re-dust or spray with something then (I don't think you have to do all that again, just one of them.) These critters can be persistent so continue to check for them every few weeks or so for a while. And leg mites take a while to die as you've probably read. As for eggs, there's no withdrawal for these products, so enjoy. Where you run inot withdrawal times is with worming meds.

I haven't heard of the club footing thing before. If it's from leg mites I imagine they have been there a while.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by