coop brainstorming

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by hunterjumper999, Jan 1, 2011.

1. hunterjumper999

hunterjumper999 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2008
    Box Springs
    Thoughts?

It's 18 X 24.
    [​IMG]

2. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    Are you plan 4 separate pen for different type of chickens? I sure hate to waste 4' walk way.

3. Hillsvale

Hillsvale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    you say the coop is 18x24 with the 4' walkway between... but the dimentions of the run (I think the brown bit are the runs) say 20x16... so I am confused. What size are the yellow and pink coops?... are you having doors to go into each seperate coop/pen?

Its a big coop.... hope you have people to sell to! [​IMG]

4. hunterjumper999

Dec 26, 2008
    Box Springs
    i'm sorry. ...

Yes, the sizes are correct. The way I planned on the run was to include a few bracing posts ( giant timbers) because of the stray dogs jumping up against them and moving them and possibly injuring and running birds over. that is why the run is only 20' wide... because i am going to sit the posts flush with the building.

I planned on having the individual pens be about 7' wide ( into the building) and 8' long. I am trying to provide a little space for adding walls and insulation.

I am thinking that the inside portions will be framed out with chicken wire on top and plywood on the bottom 1/2 ... the easy access nests will back up to the inside walls for easy access.

PLEASE if there is an easier way to house about 4 groups of different breeds and im not seeing it please let me know. I'd like to get this done easily.

what would YOU do with a building that size ?

I was also trying to allow for easy 'mucking' of the pens into a wheelbarrow in the aisle. there are my horsey genes i guess.

5. hunterjumper999

Dec 26, 2008
    Box Springs
    and yes- what is the estimated numbers i can house very comfortable in this? I already have upwards of 20 and selling has not been an issue thus far. I'd like to expand my hatching egg business a bit but you know those girls only give back what you put into them so I want this to be a super nice space for them. I plan on doing my sales bunch in here and keeping my old coops for the layers that we eat ( both eggs and meat) .

6. Hillsvale

Hillsvale Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 20, 2009
    Hillsvale, Nova Scotia
    so based on the building being 18x24 with a 4' walkway the 7' wide is correct (less 2x4 or 2x6 framing walls) but you are going to have a significantly bigger length of approximately 12 '.... reardless based on a rough average of 4 sq feet per bird with an 8x7 coop you could have roughly 14 birds... for a 7x12 fot coop you could have roughly 21.

I like the design and the walkway especially for storage.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by