coop brooding and rain

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by singcleardomini, Jun 16, 2016.

1. singcleardomini

singcleardomini New Egg

Jun 3, 2016
    I have two two and a half week partridge chantecler chicks whom I recently moved to the coop with a heat lamp cause my other Dominique 5weeks was lonely and it was warm out. Its raining today and they are out under the coop, the chicks have most of their wing feathers and tails are coming nicely, are they OK getting a little wet? They are staying the the dry part mostly but not sure if I should get em in the coop to be safe, any thoughts

2. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Let It Snow Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    As long as they don't get soaked they should be fine. How is the temperature outside? Damp and chilled wouldn't be good for them though, so if it's colder out you should try to round them up.

3. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Hi, welcome to BYC! [​IMG]

I agree with oldhenlikesdogs (almost put hogs accidentally). [​IMG]

A light drizzle may be no biggie. Pay attention, if they start acting stressed with loud peeps they are probably to cold. I took my 2 week olds out and of course the next day, rain. But our temp is still the same. I made sure their hang out spot was out of the rain.

The older ones like the light rain but I realize we are talking young warmth here. Do they know their way back to the lamp?

Best wishes!

1 person likes this.
  4. singcleardomini

singcleardomini New Egg

Jun 3, 2016
    Thanks for the replies, it started pooring so we put em in. They came out after and finally figured how to get back in the coop (its raised 2 feet) with the older one guiding them. Since they can get in themselves now I'll stop worrying

5. EggSighted4Life

EggSighted4Life Overrun With Chickens

Little mentor chicks really help!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by