Coop build and newbie

MakoMark

Chirping
Mar 22, 2023
Hi,
New to chickens, got 4 chick's now building coop. Live in pacific northwest, mile from ocean, Temps never above 75 or below 32. Bought plans for SK palace coop but after reviewing plans realized that and old shed was similar in size. Shed was in good shape except the roof edge was rotting! Roof over hang was wider then plans, roof angle was steeper, and roof height was different. So most of the dimensions went out the window.
Could have used the shed for the coop but didn't want to lose that storage. So I'm rebuilding the roof edge and extending the roof rafters 7 ft for a 6x12 coop/run.
My question is about windows and light. Since it really never gets hot, and the coop is in the shade for the most part, do I need windows for light, or extra ventilation? The top will have vent holes on both sides. Maybe just a light inside on a timer?
I'm having so much fun raising the two red and two golden sexlinks. Any ideas, suggestions, don't does, are welcome!
MakoMark

Attachments

• Resized_20230322_094156.jpeg
    Resized_20230322_094156.jpeg
    433.9 KB · Views: 33
do I need windows for light, or extra ventilation?
Yes, and yes. The chickens will appreciate natural daylight. More ventilation is better than less. It should be above the chickens' heads when they roost at night. Cover any openings with hardware cloth to keep out predators.

You want to plan for 1 sf of open ventilation for every chicken. "Open" means covered to keep out predators, BTW.

And,
:welcome

I would consider making sure to leave where the arrows are pointing open/protected with screwed-in hardware cloth. Also, the green triangles at the top secured with hardware cloth will allow 24x7 ventilation. (that's assuming those beautiful overhangs will be solid-roofed.) You want those triangles spots to be as big as possible without going so low that there will be a draft across your roost bar (12"-24" above the roost bar)

Resized_20230322_094156_edit.jpg

Another suggestion is to get a hinged hardware cloth protected panel on the bottom of that coop so that you can access underneath it from both sides. (roughly drawn in orange)

It's looking great!

Thanks K will definitely incorporate the the green vent areas, was wondering how to add the vents. I was thinking double doors in the orange, the nest boxes will be above but I believe your idea will work. Also thinking the feed could go thru the shed wall with 3 to 4 in pvc at 45 degrees. That way the feed can stay in the shed. Hope to do the deep litter with a full swing open door and three nest boxes on side but how high should the roosting bars be off the floor and should I have a main upper one and a lower one . Does the upper perch need a ladder? Four hens for now.

Last edited:
Thanks K will definitely incorporate the the green vent areas, was wondering how to add the vents. I was thinking double doors in the orange, the nest boxes will be above but I believe your idea will work. Also thinking the feed could go thru the shed wall with 3 to 4 in pvc at 45 degrees. That way the feed can stay in the shed. Hope to do the deep litter with a full swing open door and three nest boxes on side but how high should the roosting bars be off the floor and should I have a main upper one and a lower one . Does the upper perch need a ladder? Four hens for now.
I' guessing your coop portion to be about 6'x6'. So long as you can access under it from opposite sides, you should be fine.

Food in the shed sounds like a good idea. I've always want to get a PVC feeder in place, but never to around to trying one.

I'm not sure what to recommend for the roost height. Lot's of 'it depends.' If you do deep bedding in the coop, that will raise the height of the floor. If you intend to use a poop board, then you'll need space for that. 4 chickens will need 4' of roost bar. More is always better ... but personally, I'd shy away from having 2 levels. The most important part of the roost height is having that space above their heads so that they don't catch drafts.

Back
Top Bottom