Coop Build Finally Complete

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by BrianM, Nov 1, 2010.

1. BrianM

BrianM Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2009
    South Louisiana
    I have a thread somewhere from a while back with some of the initial build pics but want to post some up of the completely finished project. Took lots of inspiration and ideas from coops people post on this site. Thanks a lot for all of the great ideas everyone. Didn't keep great a track of all of the costs (didn't really want to know) but ended up around $500 I think. Would have been more but I got 90% of the lumber at 40% off from a yard going out of business. Should hold up for a good long while though.

A few specs. Run is 4x12 coop is 4x4. Plan to keep six pullets.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. kla37

kla37 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Hillsborough, NC USA
    Wow! Looks great, nice job! You'll have some happy chickens! [​IMG]

3. ~*Sweet Cheeks*~

~*Sweet Cheeks*~ Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2009
    Olympia Washington
    VERY VERY nice. You did a great job. Looks good, preditor proof, easy to clean, nice roosts at the same height, good ventilation.

Only one recommendation would be to add a tiny lip on the outside access point for eggs, so they don't fall out on the ground in case one is on the edge when you flip the door open or while you're feeling around for the eggs and to keep the bedding in the nests and not coming out and in the crack (hinge).

4. BrianM

BrianM Out Of The Brooder

Feb 6, 2009
    South Louisiana
    ~*Sweet Cheeks*~ :

VERY VERY nice. You did a great job. Looks good, preditor proof, easy to clean, nice roosts at the same height, good ventilation.

Only one recommendation would be to add a tiny lip on the outside access point for eggs, so they don't fall out on the ground in case one is on the edge when you flip the door open or while you're feeling around for the eggs and to keep the bedding in the nests and not coming out and in the crack (hinge).

Good idea. I have a little 1 by left over I can add there.​

5. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I LOVE your tin roofing. Very nice job. I'm one of those who cranes their necks to see the beautiful tin roofs on houses, even old ones.

6. Cargo

Cargo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 28, 2010
    Farmington, NM
    I love a red and white coop. [​IMG]

7. brounii

brounii Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2010
    Jonesborough, TN
    [​IMG] WOW ..... Your coop looks fantastic! Really well thought out. I'm sure your chickens will be fat and happy providing you with lots of eggs in no time.

The only suggestion I would give is similar to Sweet Cheeks. I would put a lip on the floor of the coop in front of the large clean out door. That way when you open it to check on the chickens your bedding won't fall out. Of course, this depends on what kind of bedding you use, but if you use pine shavings, it will definitely help to keep them in the coop instead of on the ground in front of the coop, lol.

You should be very proud, it's really beautiful! [​IMG]

8. surfchicken72

surfchicken72 Chillin' With My Peeps

nice work! always love the red & white coops, too.... My wife insisted on pink... [​IMG] I see you use those rafter supports to avoid the cutting.. I did the same.

Good JOb.

9. redfeather

redfeather Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2010
    Lovely! Looks great! How many birds is that for? 4-6?

I am seriously envious of everyone's beautiful coops... I really need to show a pic of mine... so ugly! Just a plastic shed and a big, tarp covered run!

10. Little Ameraucana Mom

Little Ameraucana Mom Need Help, Can't stop hatching!!!

Jul 8, 2008
    Greencastle, In
    Great job, it is gorgeous !!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by