1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!
  1. AEJEfarm

AEJEfarm Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2016
    I was originally going to do a 3x3 coop but with everyone saying it was too small, I increased the sq footage to 4x4. I had a day off of work so I went to home depot and got to work!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

one question- any suggestion on what to do about small roofing nails that stick through the roof? And also, the roof will be floating, so I wont be covering the spaces between the main structure and roof (you can see this in the last picture, sorry its sideways)... do you think that will be enough ventilation?

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016
  2. Rock Home Isle

Rock Home Isle Chillin' With My Peeps

If you paint the roof you could put down Ice & Snow Shield as a roofing cover. The adhesive back will hold it in place, it seems to adhere better on a painted surface.

[​IMG]

Here it is on the roof of the coop that I built.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  3. Rock Home Isle

Rock Home Isle Chillin' With My Peeps

....great start by the way. It took me a lot longer to get to your level of completeness.

4. AEJEfarm

Apr 25, 2016
    also ordered my chicks today!
    1- buff Orpington
    1- barred Plymouth Rock
    1- Rhode Island Red
    1- silver laced Wyandotte

should be here some time in May!

5. Gridguru

Gridguru Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2016
    Dallas, TX area.
    I took a dremel to mine and just chopped of the tips of the screws that poked through.

6. AEJEfarm

Apr 25, 2016
    does anyone think I'll need more ventilation?

7. TerryH

TerryH Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2016
    NW Arkansas
    My Coop

Hard to tell from the photos where or how much ventilation you have planned. General rule of thumb is about 1 sq. ft. per bird.

8. TLWR

TLWR Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    southern AL
    If your only ventilation is the roof, then I'd add a "gable" vent on either side at the high point on the sides.

9. AEJEfarm

Apr 25, 2016
    Update... Finished framing the outside. Grinder down any exposed nails/screws on the interior, and then put a layer of deckover on the floor to stop any moisture or stains from being absorbed into the flooring. The deckover goes up 6 inches on the walls as well. Next is painting the exterior walls and the rest of the interior white to match the house and get the chicks! They arrive on friday!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Cheep N Peep

Cheep N Peep Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] Great job so far! I used a hammer to bend the end of the nails over from the inside of the coop. I also tried to arrange it so that most of the nails ended up in a roof stud. Are you going to put in any windows? Light in the coop really helps with egg laying and if they open or swing out on a door you can cover the open space with hardware cloth- extra ventilation for hot summer days.

Last edited: May 1, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by