Coop Building Area

Welcome to BYC!

Where, in general, are you located? Climate matters, especially when it comes to housing.

Deep natural shade is *almost* always an excellent place for chickens. They are naturally birds of the forest floor and suffer more from heat than from cold.

If you show us photos of the area we can give better input. :)

Hi, welcome to the forum from Louisiana, Glad you joined.

My primary concern when picking a coop/run location is drainage. If water runs to it and especially stands, do not build there. If it drains it should be OK. A wet coop/run is a big problem. If it dries out after a rain you can manage everything else.

I look at convenience to you. Where are you going to be storing their feed? Where will you get the water, a bucket of water may get heavy. You are almost certainly going to be going out there at least twice a day, maybe in the dark. Are you going to be wading through water when it is raining or trying to climb a hill if it is icy? To me drainage is much more important, but your convenience is important too.

Everything else can be managed.

Deep Shade was an excellent choice for me. As long as Coop is solid for Winter warmth, you don't have to work so hard for heat relief in the summer!!

IMG_9624.JPG

Back
Top Bottom