Coop building (Father's Day bonding time!) PICS!

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by grullablue, Jun 15, 2008.

1. grullablue

grullablue Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    We worked on our coop this weekend. Yesterday was just getting the site prepped, moving, and leveling it, in between rain and hail storms. Today, we got a LOT accomplished! Some pics from yesterday (including the rainbow over the coop, right after we got it moved!).

Today, the work was done by my husband and myself, and our 6 year old son, who was proud to have his own tool belt, dig out his tool box, and actually learned to use a cordless drill today!

We have the chicken door framed in on the inside...hubby decided he'd just cut it out after he got the plywood up instead of before. I still have some screwing off to do on the plywood, but the battery died and we were just pooped, so that'll be finished tomorrow!

The coop is 8x12, I'll have a 4x8 storage area in front, with access to the nest boxes from the backside of the boxes, (thru the storage area), and the chickens will have the other 8x8 area.

Thanks for looking!
    Angie
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    What a great way to spend a day. Building a coop with Dad!

3. FisherMOM

FisherMOM Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2008
    Bergen, NY
    very cool! Love the rainbow!

4. smom1976

smom1976 too many projects too little time!

May 2, 2008
    Pensacola, FL
    is that tractor lifting up the one side of the coop???

5. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Wish I had some of them tools! Man, would they make my work easier round here...

6. grullablue

Feb 27, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    To make the zoning department happy, we had to move the coop to a new location (it's obviously portable, not on posts sunk into the ground. My husband used chains and that tractor to pick it up and move it to that location before we added any more weight to it. We have a pond in the back of our yard, and it had to be75 feet away from the pond, it was 72 feet away....and with a permanent fence in the way, we couldn't have moved it even three feet further away. So it's in the front of the yard now. It took two tries to move it, because we had a storm come through with a downpour and some hail, so hubby just left it where it sat (in the rain pic) and after the rain stopped, we set it up level, on the area he prepared for it.

We don't own the tractor....we borrowed it from my brother in law. Neat little contraption! They have two....so we can get it whenever we need it pretty much! It's a Magnatrac, made right here in Wisconsin.

Angie

7. johnmayersquare

johnmayersquare Let's Talk About Chicks, Man!

Nov 17, 2007
    Port Orchard, WA
    Love it [​IMG]

8. CityChook

CityChook Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2008
    Minneapolis, MN
    My Coop
    Did you pick out the landscaping yet? I saw your earlier post but we were busy all weekend building OUR coop. I know you were looking for a zone 5 northern side plant - I have annabelle hydrangeas (white snowball flowers) growing along the north side of my house and they do awesome with almost zero maintenance other than trimming in the fall, but they do get big and wide/shrubby. Heck, I don't even water them - just wait for the rain. Day lillies were suggested earlier, which are certainly low maintenance, but can look weedy when they're not blooming, which is MOST of the time.

Have fun! Your son looks like he's right at home with his tool belt and rechargeable screwdriver! Little man!

9. grullablue

Feb 27, 2008
    Madison, Wisconsin
    Thanks! I haven't decided on plants yet, I have been thinking about it, and trying to picture a few things yesterday while standing around it... but I figured I had some time since the coop wasn't moved or done yet....but now's the time to start thinking harder!

Angie

10. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    We don't own the tractor....we borrowed it from my brother in law. Neat little contraption! They have two....so we can get it whenever we need it pretty much! It's a Magnatrac, made right here in Wisconsin.

Otherwise called a Trac-Hoe. I'd love to have one.​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by