Coop built under porch

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by tjcib, Mar 29, 2017.

1. tjcib

tjcib Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2017
    So the more I contemplate, the more I loathe my TSC Coop decision. So here's the new plan, please let me know if it sounds good:

Bought our house as a foreclosure, so lots of remodels taking place. So we have some materials around. I hate these Azalea bushes, so I am going to take them out.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The brick posts under the porch are spaced at 5 feet. So I am thinking of enclosing one of the 5x5 spaces to make the Coop (6 hens...county code won't allow more). I would use the brick wall as one side and use plywood to enclose the other sides, with their nesting boxes as an overhang sticking out so I don't have to crawl in to get them (though the height is about 5 feet as well...

Any issues with red brick being a side?

Also, the rest of the underporch will be a covered run, with the space where the Azaleas removed will be an uncovered section of Run.

All in all, it will be a 5x5x5 Coop with a 20'x8' run.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm hoping that using the brick posts and supports will save some money...

2. tjcib

tjcib Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2017
    One other question...

Is a bare ground floor acceptable for a Coop? I would cover with pine shavings for sure...

It would make cleaning super easy since I could rake its out. Just curious...

3. TalkALittle

TalkALittle Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 15, 2014
    Massachusetts
    Whenever someone floats the idea of locating a coop under a porch or deck I cringe. You will have rodents, even the tidiest of coops do. Personally, I would not locate a rodent magnet directly against my house. You will end up with mice or rats infiltrating the house.

Even tidy coops smell some and chickens create a ton of dust. That's not something I would want directly out my front door.

I can almost guarantee you are going to need to access the run at some point. Crawling 20' under a porch to retrieve a sick or injured bird will not be easy.

If your municipality limits the number of birds you can keep, they likely have requirements about the placement of the coop on the property including distance from dwellings, even the property owner's. You may want to double check if your placement is even allowed.

4. tjcib

tjcib Out Of The Brooder

Feb 22, 2017
    Thanks for the thoughts. County code only requires 25 feet from property line.

We have chipmunks in our yard already. I am hoping my 6 mini-dinosaurs will develop a taste for them! But I will take that into consideration. Though my sons will say, "rodents = more target practice with air rifles."

Inconvenience of crawling under isn't a huge concern...that's why we have children, right (haha)? Just kidding. Haven't had a sick one yet, so I didn't think of that...

Thanks again for the thinking points.

5. PapaBear4

PapaBear4 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2014
    Maryland
    I think it's a pretty cool idea! Dirt floor is just fine. The farm smell may be an issue, but if you're keeping up with the bedding I don't think it'll be too bad. Access could be an issue, but kids are ideal for small spaces, I agree. I don't know if being that close to the house would draw predators or deter them. I guess it depends on the critter. Good luck to you! Sounds like a fun project. Let us know how it goes.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by