Coop Cam Recommendation

kgawley59

Chirping
6 Years
Feb 4, 2017
Hello! Do any of you have a recommendation for a coop cam to watch your chickens? Seems like a fun hobby. Thanks!

I use the Wyze cam. You can get one that needs electricity or you can get one that is run by battery. The cameras that need electricity are indoor only, however, I have used mine outdoors in Montana for over 2 years now without a problem. Many people use them outdoors. I either put them in a housing to protect them from the elements or put them in a protected area where they won't get wet. The camera that needs to be plugged in costs $19.99 on the Wyze web site or you can buy them from Amazon. Home Depot has also sold them. The cameras come with infrared lights for use at night.

I use the Blink cameras, from Amazon. Like the poster above, I think it's made by Wyze. It works well. I have one in the nesting area, on a motion sensor. I got it after I had an egg bound pullet and I wanted to make sure she was laying normally again. Also, I had a hen moving eggs from one box to another, so that was pretty entertaining to see with videos. I also have one in the run, just to pop in every once in a while. It saves short video clips and you can view live. The audio is descent, also.

This may depend on your location. Wyze have been mentioned a lot on here but they are double the price in the UK than the US.

What features do you need ...

Do you need power?
Wireless or LAN Network?
Monthly subscription for cloud storage or local storage?

I had to install an external wifi extender on my house as I didn't have network coverage where the coop is and I have 2 x Reolink Argus 2 with solar panels.

I only use mine to check on the chooks occassionally so I don't use any recording at all, just real time viewing. I think the chickens would probably set the sensor off every few seconds and flatten the battery too quickly anyway but these cameras have local storage on a sd card.

I also use the Ring Video Doorbell. My coop is within the range of my home wifi. I have one inside the coop to check that all the girls are in for the night. I have a second in the run to keep an eye on our ducks. The Ring II doorbell will run for several weeks on a charge, so I didn't even bother with power or solar hookups. It is great fun to pull out your phone and see what your birds are up to. It is also comforting at night to take a quick look to ensure that the auto-doors worked properly and that everyone is safe.

Back
Top Bottom