Coop Camera

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dnx717, Nov 10, 2014.

1. dnx717

dnx717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    My first flock is at the point of lay!!! 1 out of our 9 has began laying already and another 5 have been doing the squat for a week. I'd really love to know which pullets are becoming hens and see who is in the nesting boxes.

Does anyone have knowledge of a camera system that is good for this? Night vision is needed for general security. Wireless is best. Also, I'm not looking to pay much. I don't need HD quality or anything. Also, I like to have my cake and eat it too lol. I know I'm asking for a lot of features for not much dough... But if anyone would know I know they're on this board!

2. Wxguru

Wxguru Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    ARKANSAS
    I am getting ready to buy the FOSCAM 8910W. You can look it up on Amazon. Many have used it for Coops. $138 will buy 2 of them, and they can be wireless as well.

3. Monguire

Monguire Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2014
    Manassas, VA
    I use two Dropcam Pros in my coop. Fantastic cameras in a VERY small/sleek package. However, the Cloud fees they charge are painful as there is no means to record the stream locally. The upside to having 7 or 30 days of recorded footage with their service is being able to scroll back to an event that happened say while you were sleeping or away.

At any rate, i wouldn't pass on HD cams so quickly. The video details you will get over an SD cam are amazing. Depending on how far away from your nesting boxes you have to mount the camera, HD might just give you the detail-level you need to distinguish between your girls. If you don't have any girls that look remotely similar, then you could probably be very happy with SD.

4. dnx717

dnx717 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2014
    San Tan Valley, AZ
    I have two sets of two that look nearly identical lol. Thanks for the info!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by