1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coop Castle Construction Started *pic heavy*

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by brewmiss96, Apr 21, 2008.

1. brewmiss96

brewmiss96 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    Redmond, OR
    Hi there! So here's the coop being build. This is our first time with chickens, ducks, and turkeys, so we are going all out! I was going to build the whole thing myself, but once I started using power tools the boyfriend came out and started helping. The coop is going to be 4x6 with an attached run 10x6, with the next project to build a run extention along side the garage. The design is kinda still evolving, I still haven't decided which side to put the nest boxes on.

We are students so we are trying to do it as cheaply as possible, but craigslist is not that popular up here so we have been limited. So far I've spent $35 total, $10 on OSB, $5 for screws, and $20 for the roofing material. I will be getting the siding on Thursday. I got the 2x4s for free (saw a pile of them at a nursery and called the owner about them, I got to have all of them ~ $300 worth!) They used to be a grow room HAHA!

The spot where it's all going to go
    [​IMG]

The pile of wood and starting to clean out the sideyard. We were going to use the rabbit hutch, but it's just too rotten, so I'm tearing it down and using some of the parts
    [​IMG]

The floor ($10 spent on OSB)
    [​IMG]

Starting the framing (dark light)
    [​IMG]

More framing during the daylight
    [​IMG]

Roof framing ($5 on box of screws)
    [​IMG]

I'll post more tomorrow!

2. Run-A-Muck Ranch

Run-A-Muck Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

looks like its going to be a lovely coop..
    For a limited budget it looks exspensive

3. Acre of Blessings

Acre of Blessings Canning/Sewing Addict

Apr 3, 2008
    Axton, VA
    Looks like it is going to be a nice coop. How many chicks do you have?

4. brewmiss96

brewmiss96 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 3, 2008
    Redmond, OR
    I have 3 right now, 2 Golden Laced Wyandottes and one either Barred Rock/Dominique/SLW, I am not sure. We have 2 Rouens and 1 turkey, and I'm getting 2 Buff Orphs and another mystery silver-barred bird on Friday. Possibly another turkey too because Rudy really thinks he's a duck, he almost went swimming with his buddies yesterday.

5. tiffanyh

tiffanyh Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2007
    Connecticut
    Looks great--
    be careful on space if you are planning on fitting them all in there....ecspecially since the turkeys will take upi quite a bit more room.

What is your plan for a run??

6. ozarkjeep

ozarkjeep Out Of The Brooder

Apr 9, 2008
    Fayetteville, AR
    looks like a fortress!

IM digging the old 4runner, ive got one too!

7. LinckHillPoultry

LinckHillPoultry Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 17, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    Quote:I agree. Lol... a fortress.

You should consider digging a moat around it [​IMG]

8. greyfields

greyfields Overrun With Chickens

Mar 15, 2007
    Washington State
    I hate cutting rafters.

Looks very sturdy. Did you consider using 4x4 skids instead of posts? That would let you move it later if they demolish the ground they're on.

9. Kristib2pea

Kristib2pea Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2008
    Wow, you have done a great job so far! I can't wait to see how it turns out!

10. mlheran

mlheran Chillin' With My Peeps

That looks really great, your birds are sure to love it!

A word of advice, unless you're keeping it on the pavement you should move it now before it gets even heavier.
    Trust me on this. [​IMG] *rubs aching back*

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by