coop caught on fire- emergency

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kschicks, Dec 24, 2012.

1. kschicks

kschicks Out Of The Brooder

Dec 24, 2012
    Land of Oz
    I had one chicken survive. She is sneezing and her breathing sounds raspy. Its bitterly cold here in KS so I have her inside the house in a small box to keep her immobile, with a ceiling fan on for ventilation. I'm very concerned because she isn't walking! She isn't drinking water
    , but is passing stools. I've only been raising chickens for 6 Mos. Is there anything I can do for her, any steps I need to take or signs to watch for? She's my baby girl, can anyone help?!?! Thank you!!!!

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  2. ninjagirl

ninjagirl Out Of The Brooder

Sep 2, 2012
    I would assume the best thing for her at this point is good ventilation and try to remove any soot you see on her. Maybe wipe her face with a warm moist towel. So sorry this happened.

3. kschicks

Dec 24, 2012
    Land of Oz
    I have gently washed her with a wet cloth but I'll wash her a bit better. She smells strongly of the fire. Thank you for your reply!

4. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    How long has it been since the fire? Are her injuries from being burned or breathing in smoke?

5. kschicks

Dec 24, 2012
    Land of Oz
    Its been about 5 hours since the fire. No injuries from the fire itself, only from smoke inhalation.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2012
  6. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Well, at least she wasn't burned. Honestly, I'm not any kind of chicken doc, but if she wasn't burned and is suffering from smoke inhalation, I'm not sure what there is to do. There may be something but I think it's kind of out of your hands now - you are doing what you can for her. I sincerely hope she will be okay in the morning. Try and keep heart - chickens can be amazingly resilient. Best wishes and try and have a Merry Christmas! God Bless.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2012
  7. kschicks

Dec 24, 2012
    Land of Oz
    Thank you! You're right. I need to be reminded that it is out of my hands. Thank you for your help and I sincerely appreciate your kindness. Best wishes for you as well!

8. harrellfarms4

harrellfarms4 New Egg

Jan 9, 2013
    did your chicken make it? I had a fire this morning and wondering if there is any hope.

9. kschicks

Dec 24, 2012
    Land of Oz
    First off - I am sooo sorry. Good news, my girl is still alive. This is what I did...

I kept her inside for 3 days and kept a close eye on her. She did cough and sneeze for about a week. Instantly, I washed any soot or ashes off of her. I did this a few times a day but she still smelled like smoke. That first day I kept her in a box to keep her immobile, and calm. I waited about 12 hours before I gave her any food and water. I also moved her from the windows to a dark room to keep her on her sleeping cycle. The second and third day I let her roam the living room and kitchen - I don't mind cleaning up a little poo here and there. I had a hard time putting her back out in the cold and by herself, but I felt her natural environment maybe more comfortable and so I took the chance. She is doing well. She hasn't produced any eggs since the accident and is okay with me.

I hope the best for you and your chickens recovery.

10. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    How did your fire start?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by