1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Coop changes for Ohio winter... pics..

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by greenpeeps, Jan 11, 2010.

1. greenpeeps

greenpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Greenford, Ohio
    Knowing how the wind whips through the back yard , and how cold Ohio can get, I knew the little coop would be way to cramped for the girls this winter.

[​IMG]

After a little searching we took a trip to tractor supply and purchased some heavyduty so called clear plastic. I attached the plastic to the outside of the 4x8 run giving the girls tons of warm protected space for the winter and still allowing light to filter in. I didn't seal it tight so there would still be plenty of ventilation. This was working great until we had 3 days of 40-60 mph wind. Most of the plastic was ripped off the run.

[​IMG]

Everything was reattached and some boards were added to a couple spots. ( not enough plastic left) We added a ton more straw to the inside and the girls are happy once again. Everyone is surprised how warm it is even with a couple of holes in the plastic.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I'm happy we started with a small flock. Oh the changes were making for the new bigger coop for this spring.!!

[​IMG]

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Yeah...the wind seems to be a much bigger factor than just the cold. We put up some clear vinyl "cloth" that we got from a fabric store...it wasn't cheap. We got winds like you guys did and we lost several tacked on sheets... They definitely seem to appreciate anything that blocks wind! Glad your birds are happy again... [​IMG]

3. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Good job [​IMG]

One tip to help you get that plastic to stay on -- instead of stapling directly through the plastic, run a strip of duct tape over the line you're going to staple on. Then staple through the duct tape (so staple goes thru duct tape, then thru plastic, then into the wood). I don't think I explained that very well, did it make enough sense? The duct tape acts like reinforcement or batten around the staple, its fibers preventing the plastic from just ripping off and coming loose. The duct tape does not even need to be especially firmly adhered to the plastic. It really helps IME.

Pat

4. greenpeeps

greenpeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2009
    Greenford, Ohio
    Thanks for the duck tape suggestion, if there are any more problems I will make sure to use it next time.

5. bigchickenman

bigchickenman Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2009
    Miamisburg,Ohio
    Job well done.I wrap all my coops and rabbit pens the same here in Ohio.

6. Framac

Framac Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2009
    New Berlin
    One thing that might help to keep the plastic on is an Idea I got from my fathers greenhouse.

We would take a piece of lat (.5 inch by 1 inch) and roll the end of the plastic in it then attach that too the wood. The last time we did the green house with this technique was 10 years ago and no plastic has ever come off.

7. Chook-A-Holic

Chook-A-Holic Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 5, 2009
    Central, N.C.
    Quote:Great post!!! This is yet another great but simple idea that makes you go "why didn't I think of that?" Thanks Pat!!! [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 11, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by