coop cleaning and ??

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by daisy mae's dad, Sep 16, 2011.

1. daisy mae's dad

daisy mae's dad New Egg

Sep 13, 2011
    I'm getting ready to button-up my coop for winter and noticed some mold growing on the plywood interior. I'm planning on using a bleach solution to wash the walls down and then either painting or sealing the interior. Gladly accepting any comments on how to accomplish this "chemical" process with the least amount of stress to the girls. You can see some pictures of my coop on my wife's post here: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=570517&p=2

I'm
    also worried that I don't have enough ventilation which seems to be of major importance for healthy hens, and as soon as I close up the windows for winter I'll have even less. Does anyone think I need a fan. The eves have about a 2x12 inch openings at the top of the walls between the rafters.

Thanks in advance!

2. Animalian

Animalian Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2011
    Australia
    mould would be caused by moisture too. Is there a leak somewhere? Maybe there wasn't enough ventilation to start with?

It doesn't get very cold in OZ but I have heard that if you put your ventilation vents or whatever at the bottom of the coop near the floor, and the roosts high near the roof, the birds will stay warm because heat rises. Therefore they won't lose too much heat but the ventilation will be there.

Opposite goes for summer, you open the top vents to let the heat out that has risen.

If you have roost/coop floors at different levels the chickens should be able to work out which area is the most comfortable temperature to be in, and move around as they see fit.

3. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    I use oxine ah. It kills bacteria, viral and fungal germs. It works 200x's better then bleach. It's completely safe for the birds too.

You have a beautiful coop.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2011
  4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I would say moisture is causing your mold...don't know how humid it was in your area this summer. Have you noticed any leaks? You have PLENTY of summer ventilation.
    I didn't see how many birds are in your coop, but if you're scraping the dropping board daily, then that will definitely help keep humidity down this winter. Unless you have a BUNCH of birds in there, I think you'll be fine with a 2x12 vent around the sides (that triangular part will be covered as well??) if you're cleaning each day and if the birds are allowed out during the day....JMO. But if you're worried, Only cover the the bottom half of the triangular openings...

5. daisy mae's dad

daisy mae's dad New Egg

Sep 13, 2011
    @teach1rusl-
    Well in terms of moisture and humidity .. recently we were a few miles from being a direct hit by Irene. Needless to say humidity has been near 100% and there was a lot of moisture. No leaks, but with the large windows I bet the wet air has been a factor.

We are on the eastern end of long island and have 6 hens. The coop is 5' x 4' and the run is 7'x7' and about 6' high. They get about 1-2 hours of daily "yard" time out of the run.

@Nicole01 –
    Thanks! I'll look into oxine ah. I was worried about the bleach solution being irritating.

6. 202roosterlane

202roosterlane Happy Hen on a Harley

Feb 24, 2011
    Central Arkansas
    You know that makes good sense. Thank you! I am gonna try it. [​IMG]

Quote:

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by