Coop Cleaning - Any tips or tricks?

Jun 7, 2022
Hey everyone! My plan for this afternoon is to deep clean my chicken coop. I use pine shavings. I have only done a thorough bedding change twice, and just sweep it out with a broom and dustpan.

I wanted to ask if anyone has any tips or tricks to do it more thoroughly/efficiently so I can work smarter not harder. Always looking to learn! Thanks in advance.

Hey everyone! My plan for this afternoon is to deep clean my chicken coop. I use pine shavings. I have only done a thorough bedding change twice, and just sweep it out with a broom and dustpan.

I wanted to ask if anyone has any tips or tricks to do it more thoroughly/efficiently so I can work smarter not harder. Always looking to learn! Thanks in advance.
A lot depends on the type of coop you have and the purpose of the cleaning.
Deep cleaning implies to me pest prevention or eradication.
Some pictures of your coop would be helpful.

I have only done a thorough bedding change twice, and just sweep it out with a broom and dustpan.
That's all that's really necessary, unless as @Shadrach mentioned there's a specific issue that needs more attention.

I usually take a shop vac and suck up as much dust as I can once a year.

A lot depends on the type of coop you have and the purpose of the cleaning.
Deep cleaning implies to me pest prevention or eradication.
Some pictures of your coop would be helpful.
Here is an photo of the inside of my coop. There are metal sheets on top of the wood flooring so I can remove and spray them out.

Should have added that I am going to be treating the coop and flock with Elector PSP, it just came in the mail today. My silkies have a horrible lice problem that I haven’t been able to get rid of despite diatomaceous earth and permethrin spray, so this is my last resort.

Attachments

• E23BCEE8-68E8-43A4-9BF2-07C97659D97C.jpeg
    E23BCEE8-68E8-43A4-9BF2-07C97659D97C.jpeg
    667.9 KB · Views: 9
Do you want tips on how to do this differently (alternatives to pine shavings and deep cleanings on whatever periodicity,) OR do you just mean how to do the actual cleaning differently?
Either! I meant the actual cleaning process, but I am open to anything. If someone has a better alternative to pine shavings, I’d love to hear it. :)

I haven't bothered with deep cleaning beyond using an old broom to knock down cobwebs and brush the dust off the hardware cloth.

This is my method for the coops that have floors. In the dirt-floored coops I use Deep Litter and remove compost when it's wanted. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-deep-bedding-in-a-small-coop.76343/

Should have added that I am going to be treating the coop and flock with Elector PSP, it just came in the mail today. My silkies have a horrible lice problem that I haven’t been able to get rid of despite diatomaceous earth and permethrin spray, so this is my last resort.

This posted while I was typing. That's different.

I'd shovel everything out, brush down the walls, and would seriously consider whitewashing it all and replacing my perches.

I haven't bothered with deep cleaning beyond using an old broom to knock down cobwebs and brush the dust off the hardware cloth.

This is my method for the coops that have floors. In the dirt-floored coops I use Deep Litter and remove compost when it's wanted. https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/using-deep-bedding-in-a-small-coop.76343/

This posted while I was typing. That's different.

I'd shovel everything out, brush down the walls, and would seriously consider whitewashing it all and replacing my perches.
Thank you for the input. I really appreciate it!

This might be a silly question, but what do you mean by whitewashing? With paint?

Back
Top Bottom