Coop Cleaning: Apple Cider Vinegar vs Cheap Vodka

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by dianehodges, Jan 6, 2013.

1. dianehodges

dianehodges Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 10, 2010
    I recently read an article that said spraying the coop with cheap vodka is better than using apple cider vinegar because in addition to sanitizing it also kills bugs etc Another reason for using it is it drys quickly so no chance of mold

Has anyone tried this and would alcohol work just as well?

2. Izzymoon

Izzymoon Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 19, 2012
    My Coop
    be way more expensive. I can get a gallon of apple cider vinegar for 2.99 at the market. I don't know why you would use vodka for birds.

3. Conchis

Conchis Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2012
    Georgia
    Are you sure that it said that it's "better" or was it "more fun!"

4. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Just what I always wanted, drunken chickens. Who wrote this article, the Vodka Producers of America.

[​IMG]

5. duckinnut

duckinnut Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2010
    Marshfield, Ma.
    Remember one thing if you chose the rot gut, no smoking! Why don't you use isopropol alcohol instead, cheaper and can be bought by the gallon? Same as rot gut anyway and the local store won't think you got a problem.[​IMG]

6. OldGuy43

OldGuy43 Chillin' With My Peeps

Isopropyl alcohol is wood grain alcohol and therefore toxic. Hence the term rotgut. Don't think I'd be using it even in small amounts.

Yes, I did my research and it is toxic to birds as well as humans. [​IMG]

7. Meg09

Meg09 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 4, 2013
    I think white distilled is best. Its cheaper that apple cider vinegar and IMO apple cider vinegar can geta lil sticky on occassion. Vinegar is the best disinfectant, although for some things like staph bacteria, bleach is better; akthough I have never had trouble with staph and chickens; although MRSA can be spread to dogs and cats so I do wonder about chickens. But again never had a problem. Plus if your chicken gets to vinegar it wont kill them, just tastes bad and theyll need water.:D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by