coop cleaning time--YUCK

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by cheri222, Mar 10, 2011.

1. cheri222

cheri222 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2010
    Erie PA
    It has been very damp here lately and noticed that yucky coop smell. Just finished the complete clean and the girls are loving it. But hauling all that stuff the 20 feet to the compost pile wasn't my idea of fun. I'm thinking i need a bin right beside the coop. And of course I smell like it now too. We may get a couple more light snow storms but basically rain for 2 months from here on out. Now if someone could just build me a bridge 200 feet long from the coop to the house I would be really happy and a whole lot less muddy.

2. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    That's one reason why I use poop boards and clean every day. I'd rather spend 5 or 10 minutes every day than have a big cleaning job once or twice a year.

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Every day? WOW !!!!

[​IMG]

4. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Quote:Every day? WOW !!!!

[​IMG]

We have indoors birds that we clean up after every day too, so daily chicken chores just seemed natural to us.

5. sawmane1

sawmane1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2011
    Mcminnville, Oregon
    Quote:yes that is the best way to do it. But... i may only do it once a week [​IMG]

6. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    Ok whats poop boards?[​IMG]

7. cottage19

cottage19 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 20, 2010
    Eastern PA
    Quote:totally agree - this is the only way to go although with the winter we had there were a few days that I missed. Right now all of that good poop is breaking down on my garden beds.

[​IMG]

8. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Quote:X2!!! [​IMG]

9. BooBear

BooBear Chicken Cuddler

Oct 7, 2010
    Conroe, Texas
    The main coop I clean every day. It has sand floor that makes clraning easy with the strainer I use. Once a week I sprinkle DE in it.
    The Brooder Hutch is once a week along with the bachlor pen.

10. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

JustAChickenLittle&More :

Ok whats poop boards?[​IMG]

Here's one example: Just a board or something similar below your roosts to collect droppings...
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by