Coop Color Help Needed

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by FL-chick, Nov 23, 2013.

1. FL-chick

FL-chick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 3, 2013
    Florida
    I bought the Garden Coop plans and this is my first construction project. I'm awful with picking out colors and I'm hoping you guys can help. For reference here is a coop that I love... http://www.thegardencoop.com/blog/2012/03/16/california-garden-chicken-coop/#more-2253

I already painted the white pine lumber for framing...the color I believe is called Antique Farmhouse. I also bought a stain (Cabot's Australian Timber Oil in Jarrah Brown.) I tested the stain on a scrap piece of pine. Although I'm going to use cedar for the rest of the wood.

Here are the colors...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm not going to change the color of the frame since I already did so much work on it. Would it look good if I used the stain on the henhouse and door, and then used a lighter paint (maybe light yellow or teal) on the purlins, rafters, and windows? Or does the stain and paint color really not go together??

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  2. McKinneyMike

McKinneyMike Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2013
    McKinney, TX
    For me the colors don't work together, but I am no designer either :) I would prefer a darker green or farmhouse red color to go with the antique farmhouse color.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  3. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    I like the colors of the paint and stain together, I think it will give a nice contrast between the two. Post some pictures of what you decided on.

4. Rnbwbrite1207

Rnbwbrite1207 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast Ohio
    I think if you add a darker accent color like a cranberry or hunter or a dark teal it could really bring the two together.

5. FL-chick

Nov 3, 2013
    Florida
    Does either this blue or cranberry work?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. yogifink

yogifink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2013
    Pinebluff, nc
    My Coop
    I like! Find a reason to use both. The blue provides a good contrast and will be a wonderful accent color. The cranberry matches the stain rather well.

7. Avlana

Avlana Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2013
    Pennsylvania
    Hmmmm. I think I like the blue the best against the stain.

8. FL-chick

Nov 3, 2013
    Florida
    Ugh! I don't think I like either. The cranberry looks magenta in the sun. Too bright. The blue looks.... I don't know. I just don't like it. My husband is going to kill me if I keep buying unreturnable paint at $36/gal.

9. McKinneyMike

McKinneyMike Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 20, 2013
    McKinney, TX
    Buy pints!

10. FL-chick

Nov 3, 2013
    Florida
    McKinneyMike - do you have color suggestions?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by