1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coop coming along (pix)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by flopsy, May 13, 2008.

1. flopsy

flopsy Out Of The Brooder

Apr 29, 2008
    Here's our location . . old dog kennel
    [​IMG]
    A few days later . . . progress
    [​IMG]
    Grandson and hubby work on roost that was just taking up too much space, shortening it, but it will hang from ceiling at clean-up time
    [​IMG]
    And . . . the nests (at least this is two of them, have four), but no chickens yet. Friend is giving me four two grown ones and two babies including a baby rooster.
    [​IMG]
    And the run will be over there . . . gotta figure out how to go around a tree and we'll lose a small section cause we want to miss two graves where two of our furbabies are buried.
    [​IMG]
    Well . . . tell me, what do we need now . . . ? OH, and thanks for all of the help all of you and the posts have been!!!

Last edited: May 13, 2008
  2. wynedot55

wynedot55 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2007
    looks real good.all you need now is a place for the feed an water.

3. flopsy

Apr 29, 2008
    Oh, feed and water, then can go get the chickens (when we get run finished). What are the best and least expensive waterers and feeders?

4. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    I really like the hanging feeders and waterers. By keeping them up off the floor the chickens don't get 'as much' bedding and stuff kicked into them. You hand them so the bottom is at the height of the smallest chickens back. Put them on a chain and "S" hook and you can adjust them up as the chickens grow.

I personally like my metal feeder and plastic waterer. They are not cheap; I watched and got them when the feed store had their yearly spring sale on chicken items.

This past winter when it was freezing every night and the waterer would freeze I just ended up bringing it inside and taking out a fresh ice cream pail of water every morning and every night to them. I just can't afford a second really nice waterer right now, otherwise I would have brought one in the thaw while putting the other out there each day.

You can get the trough type feeders for much less money. If you can figure out how to hang it I would - I've seen it done. I've also seen people make their own feeders out of PVC pipe. Cut it in half, sand down any rough edges and attach it to a wooden stand so it doesn't roll over and ta da!! Very cheap and easy to use feed dish. You can make it as long as you need to so as to accommodate all your chickens.

I do love your new chicken digs!

5. 55885100

55885100 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    its comming along vary nice

6. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
  7. flopsy

Apr 29, 2008
    [​IMG] Thanks, Dawn, for the link to homemade feeders. I really like them . . . all! Hubby and SIL are now working on the run . . They've dug a trench around some of the chain link and have decided to use some old chain link we have (most will be up against the chain link fence) down in the trench and up alongside the fence. They said they will use chicken wire from about 5 ft on up to six ft and across the top. Make sense? The fence in the trench is supposed to stop digging predators. Hubby said about 6 inches deep. Will it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by