Coop Completion?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Anguissette, Aug 13, 2010.

1. Anguissette

Anguissette Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 31, 2010
    Eastern NC
  2. Luke13:34

Luke13:34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2010
    The Naugatuck Valley
    Looks great! A little paint it WILL look like one of those "Cadillac Coops!" Great job!

3. CT_Todd

CT_Todd Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2010
    Hebron, CT
    Nice job on the coop!
    I know what you mean about not plumb and the battle of the 'bubble' :)

I converted a shed to a coop..(Finished last night!!). Previous to that the shed was converted from the previous homeowner's dog kennel. Which was essentially a frame and a poured conrete floor. The issue was the floor was not leveled and follow a small slope downward. So while the shed/roof are level, it the sloping floor gives the appearance that the shed was not...I had to rescue my pride and literally nail an extra 4 foot level on the front header board and write "ITS LEVEL!!!" on the front..LOL
    But since one end of the shed is higher than the other, it gave me all kinds of issues. Trying to explain this to my wife while we were doing this...FORGET ABOUT IT! UGG..
    In the end it came out pretty darn good..and I dont even qualify as an amatuer carpenter on my best day...Moving the chickens in there tomorrow morning..Should be a good day!

4. Anguissette

Jan 31, 2010
    Eastern NC
    We were just going to name it "The Level Don't Work" Coop. [​IMG]

@Luke---I am crossing my fingers that slapping some paint on it with perk things right up!

@Todd---Do you have any pictures cuz that sounds like a project worth a look!

5. wsdareme

wsdareme Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2010
    Yelm, WA
    Quote:LOL! We're going to name ours "The Fuster Cluck" because it really is! I don't think there's a wall, window, or door that is plumb. Every time we would find ourselves unable to square something up, we'd look at each other, shrug, and say, "Well, it IS a chicken coop." The Girls love it -- I guess that's what is important. And, yes, paint makes a WORLD of difference!
    [​IMG]

6. AllTheseCreatures

AllTheseCreatures Chillin' With My Peeps

I think it looks really good for $50! Paint it and post pics.

Quote:LOL That is too funny.

7. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

The second coop I built is far better than the first one, but there were still some "issues" with its construction. We're not even talking about spirit levels working or not!

However, I've learned that something which started as a major OOPS could be turned into a "feature!"

Remember the old adage to measure twice, cut once? HA! Well, after I cut a wall too short.... [​IMG] I realized I could "fix" it by adding another piece of wood to complete the wall. That wall was 4 ft wide, started 4 ft tall in front and angled up to 6 ft tall in back. That's how it was supposed to be, of course. But I cut it too short. After I put up the "fix it" section, and stared at the long, slanting cut where the two pieces of plywood fit together, I realized I could use that cut to start my jig saw blade and put in the window AT A SLANT. Sort of avant garde, instead of traditional like.

[​IMG]

Pretty snazzy, huh?

8. Anguissette

Jan 31, 2010
    Eastern NC
    @WS----Fuster Cluck.....OMGosh! I LOVE it! [​IMG] "It's just a chicken coop" was our mantra throughout!

@ gryeyes---I so love how you took an Oops and turned it into awesome! Do you have more pics of that coop?

9. Anguissette

Jan 31, 2010
    Eastern NC
    I was wondering if you guys had any landscaping ideas for my coop?

What are the best things to plant around the coop?

10. CT_Todd

CT_Todd Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 5, 2010
    Hebron, CT

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by