Coop Confusion Part Two

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by thekatbus, Jul 27, 2014.

1. thekatbus

thekatbus Out Of The Brooder

Do chickens require a perch in their coop somewhere? Is it mandatory?? Their little coop was a kit that I assembled here but there were no perches included....Should I be rigging up something for them?? If so, how high off the floor? They are currently all just sort of walking around in their houses on the shavings and sit on them, as well. I want them to be happy and healthy.

2. emma p

emma p Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 24, 2013
    Kansas
    They normally feel safer a little of the ground. But if the coop is too small I would not worry about it.

1 person likes this.
  3. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Pictures, please

4. thekatbus

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

These three pics are all I have so far of them. I only have had them for 24 hours. I am going to have my husband install something for them to perch on.

5. Peep_Show

Peep_Show Overrun With Chickens

Mar 14, 2010
    Corrales, NM
    You could always build an elevated removable perch bar, basically a roost rod affixed on top of two pieces of wood. Even if it's 3" off the ground your birds will be happier.

1 person likes this.
  6. tracecom

tracecom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2010
    One of the nice things about having a roost pole is that much of the pooping is done from the roost. You can place something like a board or pan underneath the roost pole, and most of the poop will wind up there, making cleanup easier. A short length of 2 x 4, with the wide side up is a good choice for the roost pole. It's just semantics, but "roost" is a more accurate term than "perch."

Cute coop, BTW.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2014
  7. iwiw60

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    I'm trying to find small roosts for your type coop and I've found a few for ideas:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  8. thekatbus

My husband just came home and, unbeknownst to me, purchased 6 foot long wooden dowel rod....and cut it to fit their coop. Is that ok or should the roost be as you said, made of 2x4? I don't want them to be uncomfortable.

9. iwiw60

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    It is preferred to use a 2 x 4 laying FLAT (or something equivalent). Your birds will be much more comfortable..there's room for their feet to lay flat and they can 'sit' to keep their legs/feet warmer in the winter months. Chickens are not parakeets...they don't like to "curl" their toes around the perch....

10. thekatbus

okay perfect, thank you. We will correct this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by