Coop construction has begun! :)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by AuntieE, Apr 13, 2011.

1. AuntieE

AuntieE Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Philipsburg, PA
    My 6 BAs are growing like weeds, and at a month old I was beginning to worry about where I was going to move them to. DH had said he'd build a coop, but I've seen his schedule, so I didn't figure there was any way that it would be done by the time I needed it. Well, I have been pleasantly surprised! [​IMG] DH started this week, and so far he has it framed in. And it's much bigger than I thought it would be. He wasn't crazy about chickens in the first place, but now he wants to put 4 nest boxes in, even though we only have 6 chicks, because he says "this coop will hold at least a dozen- might as well have it ready for more". Yay [​IMG] I'd love some buff orps! The coop is 10 x 5 and is 6 1/2 feet tall, sloping to 4 feet at the back. There is a full size door, and pop door in the front, the next boxes on one side, and the other side will open all the way up for cleaning. DH was also able to salvage some old windows, so every side has one or two windows. I'll have to get some pics up when it's done. He's using scrap lumber, so he says it won't be the prettiest thing you ever saw, but I'm going to look for some discount paint to spruce it up. I think some window boxes would be pretty, too...maybe I'm getting a little ahead of myself?! [​IMG]

Last edited: Apr 13, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by