Coop Construction Question (time is of the essence:-)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by 1newchickontheblock, Jan 23, 2010.

1. 1newchickontheblock

1newchickontheblock Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2010
    Eastern MA
    I will be constructing a coop this spring for a new flock-to-be. I am trying to re-purpose as much materiel as possible - so a quick question.

Can wallboard be used as the inner walls of a coop? Painted, of course. This would be a framed coop with 3/4 - 1/2" plywood outer walls, with insulation between the inner and outer (already found the insulation and some of the plywood from generous freecyclers!)

Also, could beadboard be used as the inner walls?

Thanks for the feedback! (I'm picking up some stuff tomorrow am (1/24)

2. weirdmuse

weirdmuse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Southwest Ohio
    I don't think I would recommend wallboard as it would hold moisture and possibly hide mold. Also, if the chooks found an edge, they could tear it apart. The beadboard would probably be the better choice as long as it isn't the formica covered masonite product like I have in my bathroom. Formaldehyde used in the construction as well as taking the chance of the chicks ingesting some of the formica chips would prevent me from using this type.

Good luck with the project! I just finished building a small 8 x 8 coop with all recycled materials. It only cost me $45 total (not including labor)! And that was just for things like screws, nails, paint, and other hardware.

3. Gonzo

Gonzo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 25, 2009
    Southwestern, In
    hi! what part of the country are you in? Wallboard, as long as its not that pressed chip board you should be fine. I would say the peg board could be useful for hanging things in the coop. And I've seen plenty of painted walls in chicken coops! [​IMG] Hope this helps!
    [​IMG]

4. weirdmuse

weirdmuse Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Southwest Ohio
    OH! You may be right. The type of wallboard wasn't specified. I just assumed drywall or gypsum board when I replied.

5. JP33

JP33 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 14, 2009
    Southeast, Louisiana
    Quote:If you are referring to sheetrock, I would say no. No matter where you live you will need some ventilation, which could bring your humidity up to 20% or even greater thus inducing mold growth.

Painted beadboard would work.

...JP

6. 1newchickontheblock

Jan 7, 2010
    Eastern MA
    Thank you all, for the feedback! I think I will pass on the drywall (I think it is the gypsum type), and holding moisture could certainly be a problem.
    thanks again!!
    rose

7. 1newchickontheblock

Jan 7, 2010
    Eastern MA
    Quote:You inspire me! :) I'll have to look more carefully at the beadboard - she has some real wood beadboard(which I'll grab), which was cvered by some newer stuff...
    Cheers!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by