Coop damage/egg laying

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by clifton776, Oct 18, 2019.

1. clifton776

clifton776 Chirping

Apr 6, 2010
    Ok my coop fell apart at the nesting boxes so I built some new ones much more durable. They haven't laid an egg since for 2 weeks. I have 5 hens and 1 rooster..please help!!!...

2. Sagey_7878

Sagey_7878 Songster

Sep 1, 2017
    Australia
    They’re probably still unsure of the new nesting boxes. How old are they and what breeds? What season is it now where you live? Any moulting? I think soon they’ll get back to laying after they get used of it.

3. ValerieJ

ValerieJ Crossing the Road

Jul 24, 2016
    Washington State
    Chickens don't like change and will do strange things while they adjust. Perhaps they found a different place to lay eggs? I don't know where you are, but where I am we are well into Autumn and the days are cooler and shorter. None of my hens are laying now. I don't expect any or many eggs now until Spring. There could be a couple things going on.

Chickassan, slordaz and Sagey_7878 like this.
  4. Chickassan

Chickassan Wattle Fondler

I think your coop fell apart at a weird time of year.
    As has been said change is never easy with chickens, they absolutely despise different.
    And the day is getting shorter, if your hens are anywhere over a year old things will slow to a crawl either from molt or less daylight.
    Really not much you can do except be patient.:)

ValerieJ likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: