Coop Decor

Not stupid at all, especially in an urban or even suburban area. The more attractive your coop, the less likely neighbors are to object to it being there.

The chickens really don't care but in a suburban area, appearance can be important. Community standards, neighbors, and all that.

The other thing is that you might care. Some people take great pride in the appearance of what they have while others just worry about the practicality. Why do you think weavers learned to put patterns in the material they weave. it doesn't keep you any warmer and it makes the weaving harder, but it sure makes it look nicer. If you want to make something pretty for the sake of making it pretty that is your business.

Last edited:
Not stupid at all. I love decorating my chicken's coop. I think my husband thinks I'm a bit dorky, but he knows I enjoy it. On mine, I put two hanging baskets with flowers in the spring/summer. It rains here 2/3 of the year, so I have a copper hot air balloon rain chain hanging in front and I made them a "coop quilt," it's a "barn quilt." Read more on them here: http://journalstar.com/lifestyles/h...cle_ff7f043f-99b4-5c63-9088-549685aa48f4.html

The Barn Quilts are popular in our community.

I'm planning to get a roof top rooster weathervane for the coop and I plan to make them a Christmas wreath for the holidays. It's fun to be a dork!
wee.gif

I have several coops here on my rural hobby farm. I landscape to blend them in and keep them painted and repaired. Main thing is keeping the yard and surrounding areas free of trash and old stuff piled up against buildings and under tarps! I see pics. of someone posting and they don't realize we see the background also.
Be prepared for visitors wanting to see your flocks and try to keep the coops cleaned out and cobwebs knocked down... I think we get immune to some of that and need fresh eyes to remind us. Keeping chickens is a dusty, dirty, smelly job... lol

We just moved our chicks into our new coop my husband built this weekend. It is in the style of a Cape Cod house. Everyday this week, I come home and he is building something new for it. I see little flower boxes being built, he made some decorative rope railings for their ramp, and I think I even heard him talking about a mailbox.

Me, I saw somebody that made curtains for the nesting boxes, so I am thinking that way and maybe some pictures to hang on the walls.

They already have clouds painted on the ceiling and a fancy light fixture ( all my husbands idea! ).

We just moved our chicks into our new coop my husband built this weekend. It is in the style of a Cape Cod house. Everyday this week, I come home and he is building something new for it. I see little flower boxes being built, he made some decorative rope railings for their ramp, and I think I even heard him talking about a mailbox.

Me, I saw somebody that made curtains for the nesting boxes, so I am thinking that way and maybe some pictures to hang on the walls.

They already have clouds painted on the ceiling and a fancy light fixture ( all my husbands idea! ).

That's funny, I was thinking about a little mail box too.....

I love my coop and take pride in it! It's better than some other hobbies, or unhealty habit's(my hubby loves cigars!) and it makes us happy to decorate and modify things to make the girls happier too! Our neighbors are very happy we keep it clean and looking dapper!!
Here is a sign I purchased for above the door of the coop, and to the left in the coop picture I bought a metal suet cage/treat dispenser shaped like a sunflower for decorations.
Can't wait for spring to add more too, love the planter idea, but for now we are being practical and installing polycarbonate plastic around the bottom of run to keep the wind and snow from blowing in this winter.......But darned if I'm not gonna add some Christmas lights or a wreath or something!! LOL

Back
Top Bottom