coop decoration and landscaping ideas

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Sammimom, May 13, 2010.

1. Sammimom

Sammimom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Sammamish,WA
    I just put my petunias in the coop windowboxes, and I'm looking for more ideas on decorating the coop. Got any?

2. keeko

keeko Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 22, 2009
    Asheville, NC
    I put little evergreens at the corners of the run...takes up the space that I left out hardware cloth, and they'll look nice all year with a little green. Also, I bought cheap solar path lights at Lowe's, and lined about 6 of them down the run...they look smart, and they'll give me some light if I have to run out to the coop after dark. Oh, and I put a bright red barn star on the coop door [​IMG]

3. Sammimom

Sammimom Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2009
    Sammamish,WA
    I love the solar lights idea!!! I think they have them relatively inexpensively at our Costco, I'll check that out. I would have to shift my hardware cloth apron a bit to plant something next to the coop, I may do it. I have a weakness for hydrangias...

4. Gypsi

Gypsi Chillin' With My Peeps

Sammi,

Your coop is so CUTE! Attention to detail and flower boxes!! I am learning the importance of rafters as I look at yours and others, and I look at the sagging roof board I put on my coop today. Gonna be small lightweight rafters when I get to it.

Gypsi

5. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    I love your solar light idea...I will have to try that.

6. 3chimama

3chimama Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2010
    Pacific Northwest
    Just visited your page and I am so impressed with your coop....

7. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

Adorable coop sammimom! Love the hanging flowers and the potted ones...all that color! Very botanical gardenish. Maybe add some more flowers hanging from those decorative black metal plant stand posts??? Don't know if you guys get hummingbirds in your area, but you could throw in a hummingbird feeder hanging there as well.

8. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    I really love your coop. It is so cute already! I love that shade of green. I really like that design, too. It looks very functional.

You could add some type of little garden statue, too. Like those little metal chickens or anything that catches your eye. They have lots of little resin and concrete statues. There are little garden signs and little decorative stakes that are made of glass and metal, too.

9. delawarechickmom

delawarechickmom Out Of The Brooder

Jan 30, 2010
    Smyrna, DE
    I purchased a solar spot light from Lowes that turns on automatically when someone walks by. It is almost as bright as our electric lights, but doesn't cost anything to run. Even though we really don't have any predators in our neighborhood, it works to let me know when my own dogs are too close to the coop and run/as well as giving me light in the morning to fetch eggs out of the box when the girls start laying. Right now the coop and run look great with new plants, new grass and everything, but I figure after they have been out there for a few weeks, it is bye, bye grass and hello sand. I got a stump for them to play on as well as a piece of driftwood, which kind of ties in with my backyard seashore theme. I even bought two comfy chairs to sit in while they are out and about in the yard. This has turned into an even better project than I thought it would, and now I just need the temperatures to level out and quit bouncing back and forth between 50 and 90 so I will be able to move the girls outside in a couple of weeks and get them and their 4 x 4 brooder out of my living room. I love them dearly, but I want my house back.
    Donna

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by