1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

coop deoderizer

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by birdbrain5, Feb 16, 2011.

1. birdbrain5

birdbrain5 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2010
    what do you use for coop deoderizer? i have deep pine shavings down, but i have read people put DE in there too? what does DE stand for? i looked for it at TSC and didnt see anything, where do you get it? anything else i could use if i can find that? also, is it safe to use for other poultry other than just chickens?

2. chickened

chickened Overrun With Chickens

Oct 2, 2010
    western Oregon
    DE is diamateous earth but lime will deodorize it just don't go overboard and it will not hurt the chickens if they eat a little of it.

3. moetrout

moetrout Chillin' With My Peeps

May 5, 2010
    Milan, MI
    If you use DE make sure you get the food grade DE! I use it and think it does help to dry things up which in turn keeps it less smelly.

4. birdbrain5

Aug 2, 2010
    is it ok to use with turkeys and peafowl too? they seem to be a little more sensitive than the chickens

5. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Um, I use fresh air and hygeine [​IMG]

Seriously.

With proper ventilation and non-filthy litter, I don't have a problem.

It is possible that with chickens packed in more tightly than mine it might be harder to manage the sanitation end of things and one might be tempted to cover up with DE or a stall powder or lime.

But honestly I think that addressing the root of the problem, i.e. air exchange and poo management, is the best approach.

A droppings board under the roost, cleaned off every morning (takes literally like 10 seconds), helps a lot.

JMHO, good luck, have fun,

Pat

6. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    I agree with Patandchickens. If there's a bad odor, it's a sign that something is not quite right with your setup. Check your ventilation first to see whether it's adequate for your stocking density, then take a look at your manure management.

7. birdbrain5

Aug 2, 2010
    i dont have that bad of an odor, i mainly just wanted to help prevent as much as im able to.

8. KingJamesIV

KingJamesIV Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2011
    Indiana Pa
    Chicken poop doesn't smell like roses. No matter what you do there is going to be some odor. If it getting to the point where it is making you gag it may not be drying out. Get the pine chips a little deeper. Lime and DE will help. A dusting of Arm & Hammer can't hurt. Remember if you pooped all over and just put pine shavings everywhere I doubt you would smell like rainbows and candy either.

9. KingJamesIV

KingJamesIV Out Of The Brooder

Jan 5, 2011
    Indiana Pa
    Here is the google shopping link for DE. You have to make sure it is food grade. All that really means is it is ground finer into a white flower like powder. Non food grade stuff is more like sandbox sand. I couldn't find it at any of the local feed stores we have.

http://www.google.com/search?q=food+grade+diatomaceous+earth&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8&aq=t&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&client=firefox-a#q=food+grade+diatomaceous+earth&hl=en&client=firefox-a&hs=mBD&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:eek:fficial&prmd=ivns&source=univ&tbs=shop:1&tbo=u&ei=D2tcTbHIIIS8lQeU66HuCQ&sa=X&oi=product_result_group&ct=title&resnum=1&ved=0CCwQrQQwAA&biw=1440&bih=706&bav=on.1,or.&fp=b4a69e3db245d910

10. ChickensAreSweet

ChickensAreSweet Heavenly Grains for Hens

I use sweet PDZ or DE. They are both powders and should not be inhaled.

I just sprinkle a little on my wooden coop floor after I scrape all the poo out (the floor is my poop board). It keeps the droppings drier and makes it easier to scrape out.

I hold my breath as I am sprinkling (but you should technically wear a mask).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by