Coop Design and Size

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by TownhouseSeramas, Oct 25, 2011.

1. TownhouseSeramas

TownhouseSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2011
    Elkton, MD
    I'm going to build a coop for my Seramas, and I was wondering what size it should be if I wanted to keep 10. I know I want it to have to sides/or split in half, and have my Roos on both sides with their own hens. So I don't have any fighting. But I wanted a rough idea of what size it should be. I don't want it to big because I have a smaller yard, town house yard. But big enough to house atleast ten. And should I have a nest box for each hen?

2. GoldDogsMom

GoldDogsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Indiana, PA
    I don't have Seramas but I would go with the average for chickens, 4 sq ft coop and 10 sq ft run area, you could probably get away with a little less based on the size of the birds but the more room the happier! As far as nesting boxes I do 1 for every 3-4 hens. Hopefully others will weigh in with their opinions too [​IMG]

3. Time-Out

Time-Out Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2011
    The Peak District, UK
    I'd go for 2sqft for birds as small as seramas. I have 2 sebrights in 7sqft and i worry it's too big for them to keep warm.

4. Hawkeye95

Hawkeye95 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Agreed- they are teeny TINY!! That is of course, 2 sq feet of floor space-- does not include any height into that equation. Sounds like the set up you were describing would work out pretty good.

5. SteveBaz

SteveBaz Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 6, 2011
    Pacific North West
    [​IMG]

Quote:Agreed- they are teeny TINY!! That is of course, 2 sq feet of floor space-- does not include any height into that equation. Sounds like the set up you were describing would work out pretty good.

X2 good size to work with

6. TownhouseSeramas

TownhouseSeramas Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 24, 2011
    Elkton, MD

X2 good size to work with

Thank you guys! That's actually what I was kind of figuring, but I thought I should ask. I've never really built a coop before. I was also planning to have it stilted to, so underneath could kind of be like an indoor/outdoor area so during really cold winter days they could still get some fresh air, but be blocked from the majority of the cold and wind. And it would have a door that I could open up into the larger run. I was thinking for the coop area, 5 ft high in all, including stilts, 1 1/2ft tall under the coop for the indoor/outdoor area. The coop it's self would be 3 1/2ft tall, 4ft wide, so each side would have 2ft, 3ft long. So each side would be 2X3ft not including height. The run including, indoor/outdoor area would be six feet in length, four fet wide and 5 feet tall. 2ft wide for each side. I'm hoping that's enough room.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by