Coop design flaw...So there I was stuck in the coop...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Texas ChickenZ, Dec 13, 2008.

1. Texas ChickenZ

Texas ChickenZ Out Of The Brooder

Nov 28, 2008
    North Texas
    The door to my coop has a self-latching door on it. To keep from getting locked in, I drilled a hole through the door frame and ran a nylon string through it and attached the string to the latch outside. On the inside, I tied a washer to the string to keep the string from getting pulled thru, and I just hang the washer on a nail inside to keep tension off the string. Works great. You want out, pull the string and the latch opens.

Unless... your sons break the string and don't tell you! It was early this morning and no one knew I was in there to let me out. Only one way out... Through the pop hole door! I couldn't believe I fit and managed to avoid the poo on the ramp. Oh well, guess that means I can still have an extra piece of pie at Christmas dinner!

2. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. Don

Don Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2008
    Oil City, PA
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]

Thanks, I needed that! [​IMG]

4. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    I ust had to read this post.. I knew what it would say even before I read it.. I was there done that..
    twice.. both times nobody was home to help me out.. No hole to crawl out of.. I probably would not have fit, anyhow.. I felt like MacGiver..

the string did not break it wrapped around the peg and got slammed into the catch.[​IMG]

.jiminwisc

5. pips&peeps

pips&peeps There is no "I" in Ameraucana

Jan 18, 2008
    Newman Lake, WA
    My daughter actually locked me in on purpose and left me there a few years back. [​IMG]

She finally came back about 15 minutes later to let me out.

6. geareduplyn

geareduplyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 2, 2008
    Salley SC
    Go to Home Depot or Lowes and get a peice of 1/16" Aircraft Cable. Also buy a couple of compression connecters and attach to your latch. Almost impossible to to break.

7. joebryant

joebryant Overrun With Chickens

It happened to me once, and that's why I keep a pair of cheap wire cutters in my run now.

8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    Why are there so many stories like this on BYC?! You guys crack me up! I am imagining you crawling out the pophole door...ha ha ha ha... [​IMG]

9. Reinbeau

Reinbeau The Teapot Underground Premium Member

I think I'd switch to a piece of stainless steel chain, you know, the little ball kind that you use for a pull on lights and fans. I am pretty small, but I doubt I'd fit out my pop door, it's 13x15". I'd hate to have to try.....[​IMG]

10. ChickLuver

ChickLuver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 6, 2008
    Walton, New York
    THAT IS TOO FUNNY!!!![​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by