Coop design for hot Mississippi weather?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by FlewTheCoop, Jan 15, 2009.

1. FlewTheCoop

FlewTheCoop Out Of The Brooder

Jan 14, 2009
    Just curious if there would be any special requirements for coops in the deep South? Winters rarely get below 30 degrees F, but summers can soar into the high 90s, low 100s. Other than ventilation and roof insulation...should a fan be used?

2. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    We built our coop with insulation in the walls and in the ceiling. Insulation works both ways. We also built it with two large windows that are covered in hardware cloth and have shutters that can be closed to seal the coop up on cold nights. The window on the north side is 8 ft. long by 4 ft. high. The one on the south side is 5 ft. long by 4 ft. high. The human sized door on the south side is also open all day long. We have an inexpensive box fan that we hung on the inside in front of the north window during the dog days of summer. There was a nice cool cross breeze thru the coop on even the hottest days.
    We actually have 4 industrial sized fans left over from the commercial chicken houses, but in our coop those things woulda blown the feathers right off the chickens. [​IMG]

3. FlewTheCoop

Jan 14, 2009
    That sounds like a good set-up. My situation will be pretty small...just a few chickens, maybe 6-8. I have a pretty good idea now of how much ventilation to give. [​IMG] Thank you for the tips!

4. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    You can always build an open coop, with wire sides. Kind of like a doglot with a top on it. We have a couple of them here and they work great. If its gonna get cold enough you can put a tarp or plastic on the sides to keep the wind off them.

5. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    Put it in the shade if you can.

6. FlewTheCoop

Jan 14, 2009
    Thanks! You're all giving me some very useful tips and I'm starting to formulate some more practical plans.

7. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    How big is it going to be?

Length, width and height?

8. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    [​IMG]
    I live in Florida so I deal with the hot summers too. I have the roof insulated. I put my coop under a big old live oak tree in the summer and make sure the birds have plenty of shade. Their run is also covered. My coop including the nest boxes all have vents. My coop is well ventilated

9. Sissy

Sissy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2007
    Sevier county, Tn.
    I bought 2 portable fans run on batteries
    at Walmart 4.98 in the lighting isle, Fans are about 12"
    and they do the job for the hot days in the coop,with the vents in the coop, Also they can go out
    to the attached run covered with tarp to keep the sun out.
    I also toss a block of ice in their water
    .and have a water mister
    which gives a light spray mist attached to the hose.
    tied all around the top of the run.

10. cw

cw Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2009
    green co.
    i would make sure the coop is white or light colors as not to absorb the heat of the sun

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by