Coop design for hot Mississippi weather?

FlewTheCoop

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 14, 2009
Just curious if there would be any special requirements for coops in the deep South? Winters rarely get below 30 degrees F, but summers can soar into the high 90s, low 100s. Other than ventilation and roof insulation...should a fan be used?

We built our coop with insulation in the walls and in the ceiling. Insulation works both ways. We also built it with two large windows that are covered in hardware cloth and have shutters that can be closed to seal the coop up on cold nights. The window on the north side is 8 ft. long by 4 ft. high. The one on the south side is 5 ft. long by 4 ft. high. The human sized door on the south side is also open all day long. We have an inexpensive box fan that we hung on the inside in front of the north window during the dog days of summer. There was a nice cool cross breeze thru the coop on even the hottest days.
We actually have 4 industrial sized fans left over from the commercial chicken houses, but in our coop those things woulda blown the feathers right off the chickens.
lol.png

That sounds like a good set-up. My situation will be pretty small...just a few chickens, maybe 6-8. I have a pretty good idea now of how much ventilation to give.
smile.png
Thank you for the tips!

You can always build an open coop, with wire sides. Kind of like a doglot with a top on it. We have a couple of them here and they work great. If its gonna get cold enough you can put a tarp or plastic on the sides to keep the wind off them.

Thanks! You're all giving me some very useful tips and I'm starting to formulate some more practical plans.

welcome-byc.gif

I live in Florida so I deal with the hot summers too. I have the roof insulated. I put my coop under a big old live oak tree in the summer and make sure the birds have plenty of shade. Their run is also covered. My coop including the nest boxes all have vents. My coop is well ventilated

I bought 2 portable fans run on batteries
at Walmart 4.98 in the lighting isle, Fans are about 12"
and they do the job for the hot days in the coop,with the vents in the coop, Also they can go out
to the attached run covered with tarp to keep the sun out.
I also toss a block of ice in their water
.and have a water mister
which gives a light spray mist attached to the hose.
tied all around the top of the run.

Back
Top Bottom