Coop design heeelllppp???

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by dsfrango, Dec 25, 2011.

1. dsfrango

dsfrango Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Stafford Springs
    Im thinking of re-doing the sleeping quarters for my chickens. The purpose is more run space and to make it cozier and overall warmer during the freezing nights here in CT. I dont want ANY frostbite on my Milles tall combs because it looks like thats happening.(Purple tips) I built a 16x8 coop&run which 8x4 is enclosed with a big open door. It has a dirt floor and I do have the deep litter thing started but still seems really cold. My idea was to make a 4x4x4 corner box basically but not sure if thats toooo small for about 12 chickens.....4 STD size and the rest bantams. Pic as follows:
    [​IMG]
    Heres a smaller example picture so my term 'corner box' is not confusing. It will be solid plywood with a hinged front flap for easy access and small door with a ladder to it
    [​IMG]
    There will only be this many chickens for the winter until I separate some for breeding in the spring. This is another reason for making more space in the rest of the run

2. floridagramps1

floridagramps1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2011
    I am building an 8 x10 coop- for 12 hens.........you have even more room

my approach...........as a first time coop builder

1. enclose leftmost portion of coop on 3 sides w plywood walls.........install roosting ladder and poop trays......add external nesting boxes

2. right side of coop has large screened windows (hardware mesh) w sliding shutters which can be closed when weather is severe.....I am also building a storage closet for food and supplies into the right side of the coop.

Will post pics next week, raising walls tmw and roofing on wed

I formerly lived in Mystic............I don't think CT is too cold for chickens even with open air screened windows

good luck

3. dsfrango

dsfrango Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 12, 2011
    Stafford Springs
    Thanks for the advice. I didnt get as much advice as i thought I would but I just went ahead and did it. Its taking the chickens a bit to get used too but it definitely seems more space efficient and will be easier to clean. Now I have plenty of space for my breeding cages inside.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. mtnhens4

mtnhens4 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 12, 2011
    Western NC
    This is our first winter with chickens but from what I've read, frostbite is caused from too much humidity in the coop, ie, not enough ventilation. I'm no expert but it looked like you have ventilation so I'm a bit confused and concerned if keeping all 12 of your chickens in a 4*4*4 space at night is going to help with your frostbite problem because chickens respiration and poop create a lot of humidity.[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by