Coop Design Help - Please

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by bigbob7777, Dec 15, 2012.

1. bigbob7777

bigbob7777 New Egg

Nov 21, 2012
    Western NC
    I live in western NC. I am building a new barn with a chicken coop incorporated in it. I plan to have 6-10 birds; the majority being hens.

The coop will be approx 6' x 8' and 6-8' high.

First; is this coop large enough for this many birds?

2nd; Since this coop is unmoveable (barn), I plan to have a penned area for the birds to scratch around. It is all grass now (is that bad). But I figure the birds will change that. How large should the pen be? Also, should the coop be insulated (with what)? We can get into single digits in the coldest of winter.

Can the birds be let out into the main yard during the day. And, if so, will they make their own way back to the coop? No way I could corral them on 3 acres and a fast creek.

Any other ideas for my building? I am in the framing portion of the building. So, I can still make small amendments.

Thanks Bob

2. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    [​IMG]

I would go a bit larger if you can. Say 8x8 at least. It is not much larger but the feeder and water dish take up a bit of floor space and every bit counts.

It depends a lot on the breeds of chickens you are getting as to whether you need to insulate or heat a coop in my opinion. Some breeds take the chill very well. Personally mine is not heated or insulated and I am in Colorado. I chose my chickens for the cold heartiness as well as docile natures.
    Grass is not bad at all and yes they will take care of it.
    Most people here recommend at least 10 square foot per bird in the penned area and 4 square inside the coop. I went by those numbers and it is working well for us.
    Once they know where home is they will go back in by themselves at night. Please do remember that everything thinks chickens are delicious and if let out unattended some may not make it back. Even though I an inside city limits I do have the odd predator coming to visit. Raccoons and foxes live close by and I have found some of my latches undone in the early morning. Coons are clever.

I hope I answered some of your questions and that others will add what they can.

Happy chickening!

3. bigbob7777

bigbob7777 New Egg

Nov 21, 2012
    Western NC
    Thanks. I was using the SF to figure also. The coop has 48sf inside. 10 chickens @ 4sf per is 40sf. Will they still be cramped? Also, the run, as planned, will be about 200sf. Is this enough?

bob

4. citychickx6

citychickx6 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 14, 2011
    Loveland
    It should be fine at the 48 sq ft as you have planned. I do not know if they will be cramped but I like to leave a bit of extra room after I had a mean hen.
    The run is huge! That is a wonderful size for them.
    Where are the nest boxes going to be?

5. bigbob7777

bigbob7777 New Egg

Nov 21, 2012
    Western NC
    The nest boxes will be on one side or the other. Either sticking out of the coop inside the barn; or inside the run. What do you think is best?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by