Coop Design Help

bluemerle

Songster
Aug 11, 2018
Northern Nevada
Winter is not far off, and I'm acquiring lumber next month to start building a permanent coop for my two African geese. I've successfully wintered two Mallard ducks last year without any frostbite, so I'm designing this new coop off of that same kind of layout, but I've heard that Africans are more prone to frostbite because of their knobs.

For context: I live in Northern Nevada, a very hot and dry place in the summer (temps reaching high 90s - low 100s every single day once summer really kicks in). However: we do have some wet, decently cold winters. We get some snowfall (though nothing more than 6"), some rainfall, but mostly dry cold with wind. Our average low is 18 F, though we get lower (sometimes single digits).

So nothing too drastic! But I would still like some opinions on my coop plan. For more context: this coop will be about 4 ft tall, and will be in my backyard, backed up against my house and a big porch serving as a windbreak to the right side. I plan on having two big doors in the front, covered with hardware cloth to allow for a mostly open "face", and then a window on either side of the coop covered with hardware cloth. I'm unsure whether to make them bigger windows or merely vents.

coopplans.png

Geese do not need much for winter protection (ie a roof and a couple walls), but they sure appreciate a place with soft dry bedding to sleep at night.

They do like their soft bedding!

I think I'm just struggling with knowing what their needs will be. I want them to have plenty of space, because winter nights will be long. I want them to have plenty of fresh air .... but they also need to be protected from the wind. :confused: And of course, we have coyotes and raccoons, so they need to be safe.

Many things to think about! I suppose I just need to mull over it some more before actually committing to a build.

@Miss Lydia It's (currently) not a big deal if I have to bend over to clean! I'll probably think differently in a couple years, but right now it's not bad.

I will say: I'm considering scaling it up a bit and using some goat shed designs. I would love something that would both a) keep them protected from predators and the elements, and b) be spacious enough where I don't feel bad locking them up all day when I need to be out of town.

Do you think something like this (with a hardware cloth front + some side windows for ventilation) would be enough protection from the elements?

plywood goat shed.jpg

An open sided shelter does not provide predator protection. We are very fortunate to have a large barn to close our birds in if we have a rare predator problem.

If you want to lock them up in a predator safe enclosure at night, I recommend at least 8x8 area. Coops, garden sheds, shipping containers, dog kennel runs, etc. all can be easily converted to a goose home.

Back
Top Bottom