1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coop Design Problems

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CountryChickies, Apr 19, 2012.

1. CountryChickies

CountryChickies New Egg

Apr 19, 2012
    So we framed out our 3.5x8 coop a few weeks ago for our 7 chicks (they are still in the brooder but I think they will be big enough for their big girl coop in about a month). We used 4x4s for the corners and put a tin roof on. The floor of the coop will be about 2 feet off the ground.

Then we ran into a problem....we received 6 new chicks about a week ago, which means our coop will not be big enough for all 13 chickens.

We have: 2 Partridge Silkies, 2 Black Cochin Bantams, 5 Buff Orpingtons, 3 RIR and 1 Easter Egger.

Any ideas on how we can fix this coop situation? This is my first time building a coop. I had thought about possibly keeping the Cochin bantams and the silkies in a coop/run and keeping the bigger chicken breeds in a separate coop/run. If we do that, then I will need to build another small coop for the silkies and Cochin bantams.

Advice and ideas are appreciated!!! :)

2. ECBW

ECBW Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2011
    NJ
    A lot of people would tell you that you are committing sins if you do not have 4 or whatever magic number square footage per bird. Well, come on to the dark side :) because they will be fine. I have about 2-sf coop and the flock is happy and healthy. As long as there are enough roosting space and run where they can stretch their legs and flap their wings.

If you are considering separate quarter for Silkies, that might be a good idea. My Silkies did not like roosting and could not leap on anything over 12" high. This made the regular chicken house an obstacle course for Silkies.

3. CountryChickies

CountryChickies New Egg

Apr 19, 2012
    Thanks for the input, ECBW. Will definitely take it all into consideration. I have heard from numerous people that Silkies don't roost. And I will also plan on having quite a large run (or runs). Whether I decide to keep them together or keep them separate, they will have plenty of room to run outside all day long (until dark, of course).

4. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    You'll get different answer. Alot of it really depends on where you live and your climate.

5. Hawgon

Hawgon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    I agree with ECBW...alot depends on the run size and the chickens themselves. I have six chickens in a smaller coop but a very secure run (1/2" hardware cloth all the way around including the top) and they free range from the time I get up (usually around 6 or 7 am)and let them out of the run until they put themselves to sleep in the evening. I leave my coop door open so they let themselves out into the run until I open the run door to let them out free ranging and they all get along so I think being in the smaller coop together is no problem for them, now if I had a "trouble maker" it might be different. I have never had silkies or a smaller breed so I can not answer that part of it, although I got some Serama eggs for free and they are in the incubator right now so I may no in less than 17 days......
    Here is my run and coop:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. kmatt87

kmatt87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Northern Colorado
    did you order your coop from saferwholesale.com??

7. Hawgon

Aug 22, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    Got it off craigslist...Not sure where it came from but they are cheaply made, so I redid the roof of it and reinforced the corners inside of it as well as replacing the hinges on the nest boxes. I dont have to worry to much about the weather on it because my run is covered otherwise I would not recommend it but the price was really cheap..

8. kmatt87

kmatt87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2012
    Northern Colorado

i hope it wasn't from that site i mentioned! my hubby decided to order one from there and your coop looks identical to the one he picked!

9. Tigertrea

Tigertrea Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 10, 2012
    LaSalle Ontario Canada
    I'm building a 8X4ish coop for my girls. I got 11 chicks this week. (due to chicken math! wanted 4-6, same price, after "small order fee" to order 10, got 11). The coop will be a walk-in so 5-6 or 7 feet tall so I can do multi-level perches. They will have access to an old dog run (I think it is like 9X12, it could be smaller) all day and will free-range when we are home.

I am not worried about over crowding. I know my interior space is less than the "recommended" when you look at just floor space. But, with it being multi-level it is actually bigger.

1 person likes this.
  10. Hawgon

Aug 22, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    If it is, it is not a horrible coop and it depends on how it is used. If you put it out in the middle of a field in Nebraska all winter I dont think it will make it but if you put more wood preservative on it, add some screws for reinforcement and redo the roof maybe it will be fine. It looks just like the one on the website. I am more of a hands on guy and probably would build one now but that one was $75 with a feeder and we got it 3 months before we even got chicks because it was a pretty good coop,cheap and how we were going to use it, it didnt need to be bullet proof. Did you already order it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by