Coop design, should the floor be., BYC page up! please comment! )

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by stir-fry, Apr 12, 2009.

1. stir-fry

stir-fry Out Of The Brooder

Apr 12, 2009
    Covington, WA
    is it supposed ot be draft free/solid or should it be mesh /ez2clean?

EDIT: ok we have BYC page up w/pics, [​IMG] please critique, be gentle, its a "temporary setup"

Last edited: Apr 13, 2009
  2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    Mesh is not necessarily easy to clean without a hose -- there is no mesh size that allows all poo thru but not chicken legs too [​IMG]

And solid floor is not necessarily difficult to clean, with some bedding (and possibly droppings boards).

Some people in year-round warm climates use mesh floors and are happy with them. (Others in those climates are happy with solid floors).

In a climate with coldish winters, you pretty much need a solid floor.

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

3. stir-fry

Apr 12, 2009
    Covington, WA
    Quote:what are droppings boards?

4. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Each has their own preference, and much depends on climate.
    I prefer mesh. But then I also use a peculiar sort of tractor in a well protected spot, AND I live in South Carolina where it never gets really cold.'

But, for now, stick with Pat. With her, all things will become clear, soon.

5. socks

socks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    Hi Newbie here, I too am wondering if small mesh hardware cloth would be a better floor as i am planning a portable (raised) coop so want to keep the weight down and wondered if it might help a bit with ventilation.

what I'm not sure is, is how cold is cold? I live in the pacific northwest where it is usually mild with occasional shortlived snow but this winter it got to -17 celcius at night um....I believe that is around 1 degree farenheit. That is very unusual (so unexpected it pulled the hydro lines right off the poles when the wire contracted) but the farmer's almanac says to expect more of that for the next 10 years. Normally I would have said we get about -5 to -8 at most (23 to 17 farenheit) on a cold winter night.

So....is this considered cold enough to not use mesh???

and hopefully I didn't step on any toes rushing in here. thanks:)

6. stir-fry

Apr 12, 2009
    Covington, WA
    i was thinking ez wash [​IMG] but i also see its very drafty so i fixed that tonight..

7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    What pat said.

8. stir-fry

Apr 12, 2009
    Covington, WA
    Ok we got pics and a BYC page done of our "temporary" coop and pen. tell us what you think, and please, be gentle theres plenty to bash on, its a temorary one! [​IMG]:oops:

and we got 3 eggs in 24 hours already since bringin them home [​IMG]

9. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    1 degree F is cold, but not brutally so. People raise chickens in places that get much colder. What I would do in the winter is layer a mesh floor with cardboard and straw/mulch/wood chips etc. This will insulate enough to be fine. A small heat lamp or even a light bulb will add a bit of warmth.

Rule of thumb is to keep it warm enough to prevent their water from freezing. You CAN add heat to just their watern and do nothing for the coop except insulate it, if you wish. People do that, too. But I prefer to add heat enough to stay above freezing... thats just me

Chickens dont need a sauna. They do fine if the coop temp is down to 35-40. In fact, you will find they eat more in the winter to maintain their body heat.

If you also insist that they produce volumes of eggs for you in the winter, then you have to warm things up a bit. Egg laying will diminish if they are diverting food energy to keeping warm.

10. sparkles2307

sparkles2307 Terd of Hurtles

Good question, I have a floor query as well! Is it ok to have them on a dirt floor in the coop or do I need to build it up with something else?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by