Coop design

nachoqtpie

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 30, 2011
Jacksonville, NC
So, I found this and I was wondering how hard it would be to recreate?

I think I would want to put more vents on the top, but, overall I think it would be a rather inexpensive way to get a coop together. I just am not exactly sure how we would put it together.

Any ideas?

Hi, Not sure of your question. Are you talking about buying it? or Recreating on like it with new materials? If You like this one, why not just purchase if and load it on a trailer and bringit home if not too far from you. You proberbly couldn't build one like it for the money they are asking for this one. Just a thought. Good luck.
Erik

Plans for a similar coop are in the chicken coops for dummies book.
It is not hard if you have plans, just plan on spending a few weeks to build a coop if you are not a builder. It takes way longer than you would think.
A coop like this, if you purchased all new materials and have all the tools, would cost $640-1000 for you to build.

4 - 1/2" 4 x 8 Plywood Sheathing $68
2 - 2x4x10 #2 Prime Treated Lumber $12
1 - 2x4x8 #2 Prime Treated Lumber $4
20 - 2x4x8 untreated $50
2 - 2x4x10 Untreated $8
9 - Hinges $18
4 - Latches $10
Big box of self taping 1 5/8th Deck Screws $28 (Costs a couple bucks more but worth every penny)
2 - 144" x 26" Galvanized Corrugated Steel Roof $30 (Covers Run and Coop. Gives 1ft over hang on each end and no overhang on the sides) $32
100-Count #9 x 1-1/2" Hex Washer-Head Sharp Point Roofing Screws $10
2 - 1/2 in. x 48 in. x 25 ft. 19-Gauge Hardware Cloth $104
2 - 3/16 in. x 1-1/4 in. Zinc Plated Fender Washer (100 Pieces) $21
2 - Gallons paint and primer $70

Rough Cost for Materials = $425 x1.5 (Tax, things forgotten, oops, etc.) = $640
Add lights, windows, feeders, waterers, 4 chickens and feed you will be up to $1000 in no time.

Last edited:
We couldn't decide on how or what to build, and didn't want to spend $3000.00. But, we also didn't want to spend several months trying to get a coop together. We ended up buying an 8x10 repossessed shed. It was considerably less than a new one and WAY nicer than any used ones we found on craigslist(which I thought were priced way too high) With out too much work, we were able to turn it into a pretty nice coop. Of course, since then I have made several (dozen) tweeks and a coupld redesigns as I go, but that's all part of the fun!
95829_p9120883.jpg

95829_p9120882.jpg

95829_p9120889.jpg

I guess I wasn't all that clear was I?
tongue.png

Basically, we want to build a coop... but we have very little funds to do it. If we could afford the $250 right now, we would probably just buy that one, but we don't. We just want a simple, plain jane coop like that. I'm not sure that I want to shingle the top, but we might. I guess I just want a very very very basic easy to construct no frills way to build a coop?? LOL

Look at my page... This coop I build, is bigger that the one advertised, and cost roughtly 200. Coulda been less, but I made some mistakes in the wood puchases... I coulda saved about 40 bucks if the old guy that gave me advice was there when I first started buy the wood... then woulda cost about 160... I still haven't painted... The coop advertised, is only about 4x4x3high with a 6 foot enclosed run.

All the wood is new, but its treated for weather exposure... I still need to paint it, but don't really have too. Shop around on craigslist for a much free/cheap materials as you can find... Will be under MATERIALS. Depending on how many chickens you need, you could probably build for even less. My coop is 4 wide, 8 long,4 high, total of 6 high, including the 2ft high under run.

You only need half this size for 4-6, depending on the size of chickens you have.

Last edited:
Go around to construction sites in your area and ask the builder if you can rummage through their scrap heap/bin. Most will be glad to allow this, especially if burning is not allowed. Do not just take stuff without permission - that's theft. If you describe your situation you may wind up with some very good material, and often a builder will have an old shed they would like to simply get rid of. This will take time and diligence to accumulate what you need, but material costs will be very low. Your sweat equity will pay off, though.

If you wanted to recreate that coop you could do it fairly cheap. However in order to get the cost down. you would have to make sacrifices. such as using rnon treated lumber wich would eventually rot and mold and be an unsafe place for your chickens. Also the one pictured appears to have an osb or flake board roof. from looking i would say it is un protected and leaks, which is probably why they are selling it, you could also use chicken wire to cut costs on the run but that would only keep chickens in, not preditors out. it you have a winter or rainy climate you really should have a pitched roof to help avoid leaks and rot. shingling a roof will also help with this. your chickens will not appreciate a leaky shelter! with some good planning you could probably make a decent coop for around $150
unless you have a good lumber yard around your best bet would be to walk through home depot/ lowes with a list of materials and check prices and add them all together. you can skimp in some places and others (like a roof) you really shouldn't.

I hope it works out for you.

P.S. don't forget nails / tools in your price list!

Watch Craigslist for free or cheap materials that could be adapted for building your coop. We used a lot of repurposed materials and saved a ton of money. I know some people use old pallets which you can often find for free. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom