1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coop designed by me-- thoughts?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kkapotsy, Mar 11, 2016.

1. kkapotsy

kkapotsy Out Of The Brooder

Mar 3, 2016
    After a ton of research I have come up with my own coop design. The particulars can be figured out by my spouse, but before I handover to him I would LOVE opinions on what I've got, and what should be changed.

I live in Louisiana where winter temperatures rarely go below 30 degrees, but summertime temps can soar to the low hundreds, so tons of ventilation seems vital. If it needs more please let me know. The windows I was planning to have not close able, only hardware cloth covered. If needed I will make s wooden door similar to coop door to leave ajar during colder weather but fancy windows from lowes seems silly when I will never want to close them. [​IMG]

2. kkapotsy

Mar 3, 2016
    Thought I would also note (in case you can't read my chicken scratch [​IMG]) that the access door will also have a screen door (or might make both and just switch out seasonally) of hardware cloth for ventilation purposes. I think I will also add some venting to the floor beneath the roosting bars/poop boards as well.

3. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO
    For 6 hens, you can get away with just 2 nest boxes. Will the boxes be external or will they be taking up some of your floor space? Also consider that if your poop boards aren't raised up at least 18" that it will also subtract from your floor space.

You're going to want your pop door to be elevated above the level of your bedding. You can put a removable board in front of your clean out door so the bedding stays put too.

Since heat is a concern, consider incorporating an exhaust fan near the roofline to help move the air. They do make solar ones if electricity would be an issue. Louvers over the windows to prevent the sun from beating in while still allowing ventilation are an additional option...you can probably find them used to save $$.

4. ChickNanny13

ChickNanny13 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2013
    Hilo, HI
    Don't forget the "poop board", makes for very easy cleaning.

5. kkapotsy

Mar 3, 2016
    I'm going to see about doing external nesting boxes if spouse thinks he can handle it. (Doesn't seem too bad if you run the floor joists the extra length needed) and I will definitely mount poop boards to at least 18" that's helpful information, was planning on possibly hanging feeders underneath them (we will see how that goes). Will make notE to elevate pop door. I will check into the solar powered vent, and Loivers as well! Thanks so much for your feedback!

6. sdm111

sdm111 Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    I'm in Louisiana too I would suggest Bermuda style shutters. It would block the sun from beating in the coop and block rain from getting in

7. swanny297

swanny297 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2016
    We live in La as well - we wanted layers and went with RIR I just finished up our coop design and will get going as our chicks are 10 days old.
    [​IMG]

8. kkapotsy

Mar 3, 2016
    ^^ wanted layers and rir-- what does that mean? I am such a newb! Where do you guys in La get your chicks? Most local spots only have straight run and as I am in a neighborhood only want hens so so far am looking at ordering online maybe from here or Meyer or cackle... And I'm tempted to order now and have a deadline when we need to have the coop done by so my spouse will get cracking.

9. sdm111

sdm111 Overrun With Chickens

May 21, 2013
    S. louisiana
    Sorry myself and everybody I know only have games

10. Jensownzoo

Jensownzoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2016
    Saint Louis, MO

Birds that have been selected for egg production (as opposed to "meaties" or dual-purpose).
    RIR = Rhode Island Red, a chicken breed

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by