Coop designs/Pics??? Roosts??? HELP!

Shkittles

Songster
10 Years
Jan 27, 2009
!Somewhere in Central Ohio!
I will be ordering 9-10 chicks and 4 ducklings and receiving them around march or april and have no idea what to build..... so i was hoping you could post pics or plans of your coops or coop that would work to house them all together, also does anybody know how to make roosts so that the ducks can't walk under them and get pooped on??? Pics????
fl.gif
sad.png
he.gif
hide.gif

You could always put a dropping board under the roosts. Makes for easy poop clean up, and will keep the ducks clean too..
smile.png

As their needs are slightly different, nest wise, as well as feed, and habits, it may take a bit of planning to get a single coop built, that will serve both comfortably.

My ducks and chickens live together and what I have found is more often than not they are outside but at night when it comes time to sleep they sleep under the nesting boxes which are about 1 foot off the coop floor and not under the roosts which are just in front of the boxes, I really don't think they get pooped on, everyone gets along well, no problem! Ducks are messy so we keep all water outside even in winter and I think I have to clean the coop more often because of the ducks. I used to separate but found they got along well living together, the geese will often go in the coop and they do well also.

I keep my ducks and chickens together. What I would suggest is build your coop to suit your chickens. You shouldn't have to worry about your ducks getting pooped on, because I have never seen my ducks go in the coop. They sleep outside, and make nests on the ground to lay their eggs in, so they dont need nesting boxes, either.

i dont have an answer to your question but, why did you order birds with out even thinking of a coop? and you shouldnt keep chickens and ducks together, ducks need alotof room, and a pond or kiddie pool. be prepared to clean up duck mud!

Back
Top Bottom