1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

coop designs that "hide" what they are?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by garnet, Jan 6, 2009.

1. garnet

garnet Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    Peoria, IL
    On one site I looked at they had "garbage can coops" for those who want to have chickens but have the kind of city where its illegal. (like my current dwelling) I'd love to see if anyone has built coops like this.

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    Do you have a link? That sounds interesting

3. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
  4. garnet

garnet Out Of The Brooder

Jan 6, 2009
    Peoria, IL
  5. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    It looks like a composter...LOL

6. Chicken Woman

Chicken Woman Incredible Egg

Oct 16, 2008
    Montana
    I made my coop to look like a garden shed. The run is 4 ft cedar fence with no space between boards.

[​IMG]

7. flakey chick

flakey chick Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    Florida
    I think the easiest would be a dog kennel with a dog house. Someone here built one that looked like a hot tub. I know people have used a greenhouse design, but I think that was more for recyc. than stealth. Another favorite is the playhouse.

8. tknjk

tknjk Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 28, 2007
    Abilene, TX
    I don't think I am supposed to have them where I am, but I have a 7 ft. privacy fence so the city can............
    Ok i'll be nice what they don't know won't hurt them. [​IMG]

9. nochickensyet

nochickensyet Out Of The Brooder

Dec 13, 2008
    Bonneau, South Carolina
    I can't get over how much that Stealth Coop costs !!! Good grief, you could build one of those for what ....... $50.
    I never really thought of all yall that live in the big city where chickens wouldn't be allowed. How sad, like a few chickens would hurt anyone.

10. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Playhouses and dog houses are good camouflage for the coop. Some people have built the coop under their deck. Arbors, lattice and dog kennels are good camouflage for the run.

Getting quiet hens is the trickiest part. That's just luck, along with trial and error.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by