Coop dilemma, sort of

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by mcfarmall, Mar 14, 2011.

1. mcfarmall

mcfarmall Out Of The Brooder

Feb 8, 2011
    Kalamazoo
    I am probably the only one on this forum to ever have this happen but I'm 98% finished with my coop and found a design that has numerous benefits over the current one and stays within the same footprint. What to do, what to do? As funding is always an obstacle, I can't simply start a new one and if I did it wouldn't be finished before it was needed.

I think I'll just run with it and see how it goes. If my current one just won't work for me then I'll build a new one next year and unload this one on Craigslist or whatever.

My current one looks like the "Amish" one on horizon structures website...has 2 windows above the nest boxes and an overhang on the roof, people door on the end.

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I doubt very much you're anywhere near the first! I have 2 coops for much the same reason. I agree, stay with what you started; it may work out better than you think. Something about actually having chickens in a coop brings out advantages and disadvantages.

Maybe you'll get the BYC disease, chicken math, and end up using this one plus another one.

3. elmo

elmo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    DFW
    Please, tell us what the design features you've discovered that are better. You might save someone else from going through the same thing you're going through!

p.s. Took me three tries myself to get mine right.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by