coop dilemma

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Atomic Rooster, Sep 11, 2010.

1. Atomic Rooster

Atomic Rooster Out Of The Brooder

Aug 30, 2010
    East Central Mississippi
    How do get chickens to relocate to a new coop? I round them up this evening and placed them in there new home. How long should I leave them in there for them to call it home. I also have 2 young buff who huddled up in bushes outside the coop outside the coop at roosting time. Whats up with that.

2. 10happychickens

10happychickens New Egg

Jun 1, 2010
    I read somewhere that they should be "cooped up" for 3 days. Don't know if you'll be able to do that if your coop is enclosed and the weather is hot, but that's what we did.
    Good luck.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
  3. sheaviance1

sheaviance1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Tennessee
    I recently got a new-to-me coop. I had to close the pop door on the old one and leave them with no alternative. A coupld wouldn't go in, so i waited until they were just about desperate to go somewhere, picked them up and put them on the roost in the new one. The next day, was a repeat with only one or two. Ever since then, they love their new coop and go in on their own every night.

4. Rockerchic

Rockerchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2010
    Try giving them a daily treat at the new coop. Powerful motivator. What is happening to the old coop?[​IMG]

5. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I'd keep them inside (if there is enough room) for at least a week, feed, water... everything in there.

Then they'll come back home at night.

6. ADozenGirlz

ADozenGirlz The Chicken Chick[IMG]emojione/assets/png/00ae.png

Oct 18, 2009
    Connecticut
    I moved my first flock from the brooder to the coop and kept them in the coop for about a week before even letting them out of the coop. As far as they knew, the coop was an new, oversized brooder! Then I let them out into the run during the days (but no free-ranging yet) for several weeks. They always found their way back into the coop by themselves at night. After that, I let them free-range during the entire day and they make their way into the coop at dusk with no issues at all.

I think it's a really important step to take. I've read lots of stories on BYC that involve problems with chickens being unwilling to go into the coop at night. That's a pain to have to deal with, so do it the easy way and keep them confined for a brief period of time until they accept their new home as the place to return to every night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by