Coop dilemma...

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by nbd3um1, Oct 21, 2013.

1. nbd3um1

nbd3um1 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 22, 2013
    Pacific Northwest
    As I had mentioned a while ago we have two newbies that we will be adding to our flock when they get big enough. A friend of ours got 3 chicks as well so we decided that we would keep them all together until they got older (I am thinking until they are 2-3 months) Our friends had them until last night, now it is our turn. We are guessing that they are about 4 weeks old.

I planned on building a coop that would house our two. Inside floor space of 10 Sq ft. I think that would be big enough for our two. The thing is that I would really like to get this built and them moved outside. I am wondering if while they are little we could house all 5 in the new coop I am building for our 2, until they are 2-3 months old. The run space for them is 30 Sq ft.

So....
    1. Can all 5 babies fit into a 10 Sq Ft. coop until they are 3 months?
    2. Would this 10 Sq Ft. coop, 30 Sq Ft run be enough for our two chicks until we move them with our current flock? {thinking when full grown}
    3. Are they old enough to go to a coop outside with a heat lamp? Our temps are lower 40s some upper 30s at night a mid to upper 60s in the day.
    3. What advice can you give?

2. Bear Foot Farm

Bear Foot Farm Overrun With Chickens

Mar 31, 2008
    Grifton NC
    They'll be fine at that age and size
    I'd use TWO heat lamps in case a bulb burns out, but I've raised chicks outdoors in similar temps

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by