Coop Dirt Question

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by GretaGarboFirst, Feb 23, 2015.

1. GretaGarboFirst

GretaGarboFirst Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2013
    Massachusetts
    I would like to add more dirt to my pen area surrounding my coop. I often read that dirt can introduce health problems to the hens.
    I would like to add about a 1/2 yd of dirt to my pen. What should I stay away from (if anything). Also, is there a particular way of topping off the existing soil? Thanks

2. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    If you have a nice compost pile, adding dirt from that will give your hens lots to do and keep busy. Even just starting a pile in the run will benefit them and they will turn it into rich topsoil very quickly. If you have drainage issues, I would throw down some sand. Don't bother raking it out. They will be happy to do that for you.

3. GretaGarboFirst

Sep 29, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Thank you.....I will do that.

4. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    Where is the dirt coming from? Do you have any specific reasons to suspect that dirt of having a harmful effect or are you just talking in general?

Dirt is full of microbes, especially if the dirt has any decaying organic matter in it. Some of those microbes are beneficial, most are neutral, and some might even be potentially harmful. That’s true of the dirt they are on now, assuming they are in contact with the ground.

Unless you have a reason to suspect that dirt is bad in some way, I would not consider it any real threat. Maybe it comes from where other chickens are being raised or maybe it’s from a heavy metal waste disposal site. Then I’d have concerns.

The world is full of what ifs or maybe’s. There are threats all around you, some significant and some not worth worrying about. Unless you have a specific reason to suspect this dirt, I’d not have any concerns.

5. GretaGarboFirst

Sep 29, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Thank you.....just gathering information.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by