1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Coop distance from house

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by ARCitySlickers, Aug 16, 2013.

1. ARCitySlickers

ARCitySlickers New Egg

Aug 16, 2013
    We are in the city which allows chickens but relative to many in the country, we have limited space in backyard because of pool and gardens. Looking for ideas, comments re recommended distance of coop from the house. Have 10X14 storage shed w/ concrete slab that has been first option for coop, but it is eight feet from deck off master bedroom, about 20 feet from MBR sliding glass door. Is this too close? Other option is adequate distance, (my thinking), about 50 feet from another outside deck. Looking for input, comments, suggestions appreciated.

2. jetdog

jetdog Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 18, 2013
    Massachusetts
    Mine is up against the house easy for electricity to the coop, no smell ad long as you keep it clean, I highly recommend sand in the run and in the coop it works for me.

3. Hokum Coco

Hokum Coco Overrun With Chickens

Dec 6, 2012
    New Brunswick,Canada
    Coop should be no further than you are willing to carry a bucket of water or a bag of feed during the winter months.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  4. bradleyscott

bradleyscott Out Of The Brooder

Jul 31, 2013
    Southeast oklahoma
    Mine is about five foot from my bed room window and my roosters starts crowing at 5:30 in the morning

5. kimmerjo

kimmerjo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2013
    western new york
    My coop is about 75' away from our house . Kind of far for winter ...shoveling snow keeps you young :) I wanted to put it under a tree for shade and the run will be in the sun and some shade. Just do whatever works for you:)

6. Nicole01

Nicole01 Overrun With Chickens

Mar 28, 2011
    MN
    My coop is a well insulated 12x5x9 room inside our garage with a 22x5x6 run along side the house. I absolutely love it! We convert the run into a temporary coop during the winter.

Here's our run. We put 3 removable roosts in the run and 3 removable roosts in the coop for easy cleaning!
    [​IMG]

I'm disabled, so walking through snow is not an option.

Last edited: Aug 17, 2013
  7. c2chicks

c2chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Like Jetdog our coop and run is right against the house (under a bedroom window). Our uncovered run and coop are both filled with sand. Very clean...no smell. We only have 3 girls, that helps too.

8. OliverZoe

OliverZoe Out Of The Brooder

Aug 11, 2013
    Mine is right up against the house too ; )

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by