Coop door for the chickens pics please

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CANDLE98, Feb 25, 2009.

1. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    We have the chicks out in the coop now, they are 8 weeks old and we need to cut their door out to get out into the run....I am scared to cut them a door because i am not sure how we are going to make sure that preditors can't get in. Yes we are going to put the door on the enclosed run side, but i know coyotes and fox can get it if they want to.
    Can you guys posts pictures of your chicken doors so I can get some ideas? Thanks!!!

2. RendonRoo

RendonRoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2009
    ft. worth
    an electric fence around the coop and run might help. Good Luck

3. mommyof4littles

mommyof4littles Out Of The Brooder

Jan 23, 2009
    We used a dog house and for the opening we put a 3" board across the bottom to keep litter in and lowered the opening above with plywood to keep certain nasty doggies out. We just measured the shoulder height of our biggest hen and made the opening that high, they do not seem to mind the bending over to go in and I at least know very little can get in after them.

4. Fombellchicks

Fombellchicks Out Of The Brooder

Mar 7, 2008
    Western PA
    Hi,
    First I did a drop down version and then I decided to do this sliding version for the second door. The disadvantage of the drop down was that I always needed to step into the poopy run. This new sliding door has a handle that extends past the fence so I can open it from outside.
    Both a made from a sturdy piece of plastic, 2 pieces of metal U chanel that are screwed onto 4 pieces of wood (to attach it to the coop wall).
    [​IMG]
    Last week I added a slanted cover over it to protect the entrance better from snow and rain. I used aluminum flashing for that.
    Here is the pic with the flashing and the stick outside to help them jump up/in. My door is really small (about 7x9) and pretty high up so I added that to help them get in. I did not want to do a ramp to make it harder for mice etc. to enter the coop.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  5. CANDLE98

CANDLE98 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2008
    Meridian Idaho
    That is an AWESOME idea! I am so going to have to show my husband that picture! I think that is totally what I am going to do! Thank you:thumbsup

6. Dr.Doorlock

Dr.Doorlock Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Garland, Texas
    Very Good! So far I have the waterer, feeder and egg raiding from outside the coop. You have just made it where I can also operate the door from outside their space. THANK YOU!

I was thinking of a door that slides up and I could not figure how to do it without hitting their bubble window. This way, their door will slide side-to-side underneath the window.

[​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by